Heifer with discharge - creamish colored - ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunny Citizen

Reaction score
Maybe I should be posting this on the beginners board...this is my only cow, a 19 month old Jersey heifer. I've had her since she was 2 weeks old. Earlier this summer, I scheduled to take her to board in a pasture with a Jersey bull. Just before she went, she had a thick, bloody discharge.

After 5 weeks, I got a call to come get her "that she was sick" -- she had an infection - probably due to an early abortion due to the heat here (Texas). He had seen the bull riding her earlier in her stay. He thought she should have a lutalyse shot and antibiotics and be palpatated to make sure all her female organs were intact.

When I got her home, she did have a messy rear. My vet was out of town, so I cleaned her up with a bucket of water so I could see/tell what was going on. She was eating, drinking, chewing the cud, and acting as normal as ever.

The next day, she did have a creamish/whitish discharge (that turned to a clearish amber color when dried on her tail). Maybe 2 teaspoons at a time. On the advice of a cattlewoman - since it was not foul-smelling and she was acting normal -- give her a shot of antibiotic until I could get her to a vet. 18 ml of Noromycin subQ in the neck. She still has a knot from that. Her temp was 101.2 to 102.4 for the 3 days that I took it.

When I got her to the vets the next week, he took her temp (normal), palpatated her and asked "who told you she was sick?" He thought she was short-bred (maybe 30 days). Told me to leave her alone. IF I wanted to definitely know if she was pregnant, bring her back in 2 - 3 weeks.

She's been home for 3 1/2 weeks. (2 1/2 weeks since she's seen the vet) Still has this creamish discharge. Still normal temperature. Still eats, drinks, moos, and chews her cud like always.

Should I be worried? I don't want to ruin my only cow. Your advice, please.

I've seen so many kinds of discharge...
And my dad had seen more in his many years.
Almost anything he deems to be "normal"
Some have discharge that is thicker and opaque off and on their whole pregnancy.

If it doesn't smell sick or act sick, I would say that's a good start.

I hope she is starting to grow a calf for you like the vet may think! :)

Hmm. I'm with your veterinarian.
Cow with normal temperature, eating, drinking, acting fine, other than a little vaginal discharge...I'm not gonna do or recommend anything other than watching for some indication of illness.

Assuming you gave the appropriate dose of Noromycin to this animal...18 mls - means she weighs 400 lbs, right? That seems pretty small to be breeding, unless this is one of those mini-Jerseys.

Well, according to the weight tape around her "armpit" girth, she's 600+ lbs. According to the Noromycin package label, 600# gets 18 ml.

Thanks for your comments. I'll just keep a watch on her.

Her temp was normal when you took it especially in this Texas heat.
I would take a wait and see attitude also and get her palpated in a month to see if she is bred.

When we need to give a large amount of meds SQ, we divide it between a couple of spots. The lump may not go away. We have a cow that someone gave a SQ injection in the neck before she came to us and she still has the lump (she's been with us for 4 years).

Good luck with her. Jersey cattle are a favorite of mine.

SC,
I stand corrected - with the 300mg/ml product, your dose would be correct.
Thanks.

Many of these injectibles will leave a 'lump', but if you limit injected volumes to 10ml or so per injection site, you'll diminish that problem - and probably improve absorption/distribution of the drug, as well.

I was told this lump would happen...but since it was my first time giving an injection, we thought this was the best way...especially since I don't have a chute or way to contain 'Juliette'. I just gave her a bucket of feed and got on with it! I think I can manage multiple injection sites from now on. Thank you for all the help and comments. I really do appreciate it.

A red bloody discharge often means a cow was in heat approximately 2 days before hand.
(Not all cows bleed after heat, but most do)
Creamy discharge after breeding, personally I would watch is, but not get worried. Seen it happen before with no problems.
A white frothy discharge after calving, is totally different, and could very well could mean metritis.
Personally I think your heifer is probably fine.

Latest posts