Heifer with a cracked hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsv

Reaction score
What can I do for a heifer with a horizontal crack on her hoof? She started limping Friday and this afternoon my husband saw that her hoof is cracked. Any help will be appreciated.

I'd start by putting her in a place she doesn't need to do much walking, and can keep it somewhat clean... any idea what caused the crack? I've selected pretty rigorously for good hooves and haven't seen any cracked hooves... I'm sure someone else will have more experience... How is she to handle?

If this heifer is really special to you and you want to fix it, you need to get a professional hoof trimmer or a vet with a tilt table. They can trim and clean it up real well, and put a hoof epoxy of sort on it to seal it up. She can definitely get bacteria or fungus deep in the crack to create an infection. A professional can also give you an idea of the cause.
The flip side would be to do nothing and hope it gets well or cull her.
Good luck!

branguscowgirl":1pgwayh6 said:
If this heifer is really special to you and you want to fix it, you need to get a professional hoof trimmer or a vet with a tilt table. They can trim and clean it up real well, and put a hoof epoxy of sort on it to seal it up. She can definitely get bacteria or fungus deep in the crack to create an infection. A professional can also give you an idea of the cause.
The flip side would be to do nothing and hope it gets well or cull her.
Good luck!

+1

Called the vet this morning and he said to shut her up so she won't be walking so much. Give it time to heal. We can give her a LA 300 shot, which we probably will. She is fairly tame. One that my husband selected to save. She is a pretty black angus almost nine months old. If hoof heals, I expect she will be culled. I believe she cut it on some rocks in one hilly part of the pasture. This is the first hoof crack that I can ever remember us having in 52 years with cattle.

Thank you so much for your replies. They are appreciated. New calf this morning brightened my day. Hope you have a great day. We are very wet here in Middle GA and very little has been planted. Sad to see bare fields this late in May.

If she responds to the LA 300, (less pain) then she probably has an infection. I do 2 doses 72 hrs. apart to get ahead of it. If you can keep her good and dry, you may get it healed up.

Latest posts