Heifer wants to walk over you

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
I need a little help. My son's show heifer is broke to lead and she walks pretty well. For some reason the last month or so she is walking into us when we lead her. I've seen calves try to pull away but she does the opposite. I know how to handle one trying to pull away but how do I stop her from walking over my son? I've told him to put his elbow into the side of her face which works for me, but he's just not quite forceful enough.

I'm gonna get dogged for this, but having worked with horses in the far, far past, I discovered that animals learn little tricks that get them turned loose, or get them their way. Sounds to me like this heifer has learned a little trick. My solution to the horses was to get rid of them. Since this is a show heifer, and a bovine to boot, I'd have no idea how to break them of it. You can handle the heifer...your son, at least at this time, can't...and the blasted prima donna senses it. I feel for you, I really, really do.

Oh, and thanks for making me remember that horses aren't one of my favorite animals, by the way. Every now and then a stupid thought crosses my mind that I'd like to have one again.

Alice

I would try walking her with a show stick in your left hand. That way you can put the stick in front of her nose, or give a tap on the nose when she gets moving to fast. Also, I dont know what typ of halter/lead you use, but I would try one with chain under the throat. I feel you have more control with this type, and the animals respond better to them. Good Luck.

Ryan

One of our steers this year was doing that too.
We made more room between us an hold up the lead higher in the air. If he kept trying to do this we go in a circle. Also try to walk with her when she steps with her right foot make sure your right foot is in sequence with hers.
Just a thought.

I would try a halter with a chain, if you aren't using one already. Each time she walks ahead of you or into you, give that chain a quick jerk.

Does she do it all the time or in certain places where you walk? My daughters 4-H steer and heifer would try to walk over her or me when they thought they were going back into their pen. So I try to get my daughter to walk as fast as she can to stay ahead of them at those spots so they know that they aren't done with their workout. It seems to work. The showstick in front of their nose works too.

L Wier, I hadn't really noticed it but she does do it more often when she's going back to her pen. She will do it some, but much less frequently when we take her out of her pen and walk her, or when we take her to the grooming chute. I appreciate all the reply's, I have a halter with a chain on order, and I have told my son to put the stick in front of her and tap her if she tries to get in front of him. I also am going to try a little more lead space to see if that won't help too. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts