Heifer replaemnt requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hi. I am running a small property and four cows and calves seems to be the magic number I can run. I get my cows Ai or I hire a bull. I had to sell my cows due to drought and have now got 4 Heifers joined to keep. I aim to keep the Ai daughters and not so keen to keep the hire bull daughters.

How many and how often should I keep a Heifer to build or improve my herd?

My hope would be that every Ai calf that hits the ground would be superior to my original starting cows.

It's a hobby that will build to something more as I grow.

Dave, the goal most of us are trying to reach is a herd of cattle with low inputs, high outputs, with a good carcass quality.

There are no guarantees that an AI heifer will be better than a live bull heifer. Any heifer that is structurally sound, calves unassisted, then gets bred the first estrus with a bull is a good heifer.

Good luck, hope this helps.

I'd keep all the heifers..calve them out, then make my decision..some of my best ones, started out on the lower end of the list..they do better at selecting themselves, then I seem too at times..some of the ones you start out really liking, are the first to let you down..now is the best time too build you a cow family..

ALACOWMAN said:
I'd keep all the heifers..calve them out, then make my decision..some of my best ones, started out on the lower end of the list..they do better at selecting themselves, then I seem too at times..some of the ones you start out really liking, are the first to let you down..now is the best time too build you a cow family..

Bingo! I generally retain heifers based on lineage, when they were born, docility, structure and whether I just like them. They also have to score at least 150 on their pelvic measurement at 11 months.

Three years ago I kept back 6 additional heifers because a neighbor wanted to buy them when they were bred. Didn't really feel the love for that group but they were nice, sound heifers. Deal fell through and against my better judgment I ended up keeping them. Surprise! They've turned out to be easy keepers, great mamas, raise really nice calves.

Latest posts