Heifer Problems Today

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Checked the first calf heifers this morning. One was clearly having problems, up down all over the pasture. Got the vet out could see one foot and tongue. She helped me get her to the chute took over a hour to get the huge calf out. Thankfully I have a calf jack. This is a really big heifer so that was prolly a plus. Got calf out alive, heifer was down in chute bleeding some. Doc got that tied off. We got heifer up she is trying hard to be a good mom. Calf is really weak got clostrum down him in bottle. Going to give some more during night. Eight heifers have calved before today with nice little calfs. This one was just too big! Made for a long day. And during all this another heifer calved with no problems. Days like this make me really glad I married a vet!

Tom everybody has their own ways of doing things but when I do need to get colostrum down a calf I tube it with an esophageal feeder and let the colostrum flow in (with a little squeezing). Trying to get a newborn to suck a bottle will kill a good man.

Glad it worked out. Having a wife with the expertise to help is a big plus.

I use a goat or sheep nipple when I give newborn calves colostrum. Not nearly the battle than a full sized one.

My neighbor retained 30 heifers this past year. Started calving 3 weeks ago. Calved out 10 with only one problem. She was the biggest, "prettiest" heifer. Very hard pull. Calf is doing good. Cow has been down 3 weeks but we are picking her up twice a day so the calf can suck and she can support herself finally. I think she's gonna pull through. Makes me wonder if her size wasn't part of the problem bc her calf was 15 pounds heavier than all the rest. And FWIW, she had to be pulled when she was born. He said he knew better than to keep her but did it anyway. Needless to say she will be going to town.