Heifer Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":3qwblatw said:
So youre just gonna sell her because she has horns?

No sir, I will get them off. I wanted to know if there was something else he was seeing as a reason to cull.

Muddy":7l10fbqa said:

No actually she would have never made it to the pasture.
She would have left at weaning along with her horn gene carrying dam.
Life is to short to play with cull cows and she is a cull here.

Caustic Burno":1a30xn52 said:
Muddy":1a30xn52 said:

very interesting, CB :shock:

Muddy":dpkamg33 said:
Caustic Burno":dpkamg33 said:
Muddy":dpkamg33 said:

very interesting, CB :shock:

No just my philosophy on ruthless culling.
I would never even bid on her at the barn because of horns.
Horn's cost me money in the sale ring and pasture.
She is a well built heifer, horns a non starter for me.
Forty years ago was different the industry doesn't want them first today.
Second I am through fighting a bovine to remove the dang things
I have enough vet work without creating more for myself.

That is a good looking heifer there gus. If you want to keep her then just cut her horns off as low as you can/want to get them and roll with her.

CB i agree horns can be a problem but if you cut them as small as they are now in this picture then that cow will be fine and be a great momma cow. Also I have noticed with our Longhorns that alot of the beef cross calves aren't growing horns. They are young right now so they may get some scurs before we sell but you never know. It may or may not carry the horn gene. I don't know about culling just because of horns that seems a little far fetched to me.

But hey everyone has their own process....not bashing your process in any way.

If they aren't to big around use one of these
image_zps0sis6yrl.jpg

Doesn't work if they have a curve of get too big around. Also when they get older it's pretty challenging but we just dehorned some two year old bred heifers with one that had about 3 or 4 inch long horns. You don't have to be quite as close to the head as they suggest if you use one. Bigger horns we tie them off and use a hacksaw.

Oh and generally before we cut horns we put a twine string around them like you would a rope, and tie it as tight as we can. That usually stops the bleeding for the most part. If you use the horn you just cut as a wedge between there head and the string you can stop the bleeding completely on some. We have been leaving the string on over night and then just cut it of the next day. I don't know if it numbs their head a little but if you have the twine on there really tight for 5 or 10 minutes they don't seem to get as worked up when you cut it.

gus2121":2mw6vknz said:

Wish I would have dehorned the mot heifer, wife wanted to leave them. I wont do that again.

It only takes 1 polled gene to knock the horns off 1/2 the calf crop.
It wasn't a big deal in the past. But animal rights advocates are getting worked up over it.
Cattle producers especially dairymen need to get on the polled gene bandwagon.
Otherwise the day is coming, maybe in 40 years, but it will require 2 Vets and a Minister to remove horns from a calf.

There are only a few things i cant watch at a vet, dehorning and anything to do with eyes..... We got rid of our horns about 10 years ago, so glad we did.

Be sure if you use a dehorner on the bigger based horns to, take it slow and rock the handles side to side as your cutting not to crush the base and the skull...

Thanks for the replies everyone, some reason I just now seen the responses. I have the vet coming out around the 10th of next month to palpate. This is my first group of heifers that I have retained and I agree I probably fed to much BG. I'm still learning something new everyday. If this heifer ends up open, which I think she is already starting to cycle again, my BIL wants her. What price is fair?

gus2121":175cdb8w said:
Thanks for the replies everyone, some reason I just now seen the responses. I have the vet coming out around the 10th of next month to palpate. This is my first group of heifers that I have retained and I agree I probably fed to much BG. I'm still learning something new everyday. If this heifer ends up open, which I think she is already starting to cycle again, my BIL wants her. What price is fair?

Gus, I would try to recover some of my investment. Figure what you have into her and get as close as you can without hurting the BIL..Sorry, I know how much you liked her too. It's always the ones we like the most..... :???:

I raised this one. Brangus bull x beefmaster cow. She's about 22 months in photo. Should calf any day. Bred to Angus bull

Good looking heifers Fenceman! If anyone else has any pictures, feel free to share them!

Latest posts