Heifer lost appetite after birth

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Just had a black brangus heifer give an unassisted birth to a baby sired by GAR ADVANCE angus bull thank God. The calf is beautiful and eating like crazy but the hiefer does not eat very much. Its been 3 days. Feeding her creep feed, tifton 85 and alfalfa. She couldnt stay away from the tifton before she gave birth. I did no protien feeding 3 months before she had the baby. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

She could have retained a piece of afterbirth. If she goes off her feed, I would have the vet clean her out and puts some boluses in.
But that's me, staying ahead of the game.

branguscowgirl":2pq53tsn said:
She could have retained a piece of afterbirth. If she goes off her feed, I would have the vet clean her out and puts some boluses in.
But that's me, staying ahead of the game.

My thoughts as well. Although if she retained some afterbirth she should not have had any negative effects that soon. I would say watch her closely and if you're able monitor her temperature. I've had to clean out two this year. I still hate it as bad as I did the first time. But that comes with the territory. Vet game me some kind of yellow powder with CTC in it I think.

BK9954":ufcqqpva said:
What do you mean clean her out.

I mean you glove up and clean out any retained afterbirth by hand. Then deposit antibiotic powder or blouses into the uterus. Sometimes you may need a dose of oxytocin or lute in order to get your hand through the cervix.

It's not that complicated. Just not very pleasant if you know what I mean, especially in the summertime. But sometimes we don't have a choice. Hope all goes well.

A displaced abomasum (aka twisted stomach) is an outside possibility. (It's more common in dairy cows)
During pregnancy the uterus displaces the abomasum, so that after calving the abomasum has to move back to its normal position. When D.A.s happen it's usually after calving and most often on the left side.
If the abomasum (the true stomach) stops turning over its contents, gas accumulates and floats the abomasum out of position.
In severe cases it can require surgery. Otherwise your vet can roll her on her back, float it back in to position and put in a toggle stitch to hold it in place, so it doesn't happen again. It takes a vet or a very experienced herdsman to diagnose it for you.

Take a stethoscope and place it in her last rib, about 1/2 way down from the spine. Take your finger and snap or tap with your fingers on the cows stomach a few inches behind (towards the rear of the cow) where you have the stethoscope. You will hear what sounds like a metalic "ting or ping" kinda like you are snapping on an empty soda can. That noise indicates the presence of a gas pocket, aka twisted stomach. Sorry about the poor description of how to check. You will obviously need a vet to confirm the diagnosis. When the vet is there, have them show you how to check and what a twisted stomach sounds like. You'll never forget the sound.

We have done surgery, the blind stitch and in a couple cases just rolled the cow and got her back up. Surgery is 100 effective and blind stitch is not far behind. Of the 2 cows we just rolled, one stomach stayed where it should be, the other required the blind stitch to hold it in place.

Here's a you tube of the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5OO_2OPkY

Could be DA but then she will show signs of pain very quickly. Could be hardware, sometimes happens with calving, contractions etc that a 'dormant' piece of wire pierces something internally. Could be a number of things...or nothing at all, just monitor her closely.