Heifer letting steer nurse-- will she continue after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
My heifer, due to calve ina couple of weeks, was letting our steer nurse from her. So when I saw that I seperated the two.
I was wondering if she will let the steer nurse after she calves ? I only have a small acreage so I don't want to be running two pastures for the cows.( I rotate the pastures ) I'll just have him butchered earlier than planned if that's the case.... but the real problem seems to be that She allows it--- I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem long-term with her--- like after she weans a calf letting it suck again when she's building up colostrum for the next calf. anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
Susie

The problem is with the steer not the heifer. He will probably try to nurse anytime he gets a chance from anyone that will let him. She may let anything that wants to nurse later on, but as I said, the problem is the steer wanting to not her allowing him to.

dun

I would send the steer to the butcher early and watch the heifer to see what she does after she calves. If she continues to let other calves/animals nurse, she would be history. Just my thoughts

Buy one of those weaning rings with the spikes on it and put it on the steer and no cow will allow him to get away with that kind of crap. It is a much cheaper alternative to early slaughter.

Just making me curious-- but what is he getting out of it??
Unless I am mistaken she shouldn't have any milk flow yet.

Howdyjabo":3exdh6kr said:
Just making me curious-- but what is he getting out of it??
Unless I am mistaken she shouldn't have any milk flow yet.

Since she is due to calve in a couple of weeks she is producing colostrum and that is what the steer is getting out of it.

As already stated, either get a weaning ring or separate. Is the steer close to the weight you wanted to start grain feeding?

The heifer could be an asset later on, with orphaned calves and such.

She's probably just feeling maternal and will attempt to not let him drink after calving. That said, he'll be much bigger and stronger than the calf and that may cause a problem. Especially since she's on her first. Might be hard for her to kick away the right one so I'm in agreement - get rid of him now.

Thanks for the replies!
As I stated they are seperate now. The steer is probably 800 pounds or so- he's tall though, so we would have liked to get his frame a bit more filled out.
I think Victoria hit the nail on the head- even if we got a weaning ring, once she calves how will she be able to let her calf nurse with him always there trying to sneak in a suck?

Susie

The weaning rings work....until the calf or steer qucikly learns how to tilt his head and get a teat in his mouth without the ring getting in the way or stabbing the udder.
Had a steer calf that kept on trying to nurse after weaning. Put him in with some older cows that set him straight, the boss cow almost pushed him through a fence...he's been on the wagon ever since.

Had a steer calf that kept on trying to nurse after weaning. Put him in with some older cows that set him straight, the boss cow almost pushed him through a fence...he's been on the wagon ever since.

Maybe he could come over for a little visit ?
Susie

Susie, you did the right thing seperating them. Your biggest problem now, is did he get her colostrum & now she is producing milk? If he was able to suck several different times, he may have brought her to her milk, having emptied the colostrum. I would be prepaired to feed the calf some purchased colostrum (unless you have some from one of your mature cows - best!) Better to be safe than sorry.

Susie, you did the right thing seperating them. Your biggest problem now, is did he get her colostrum & now she is producing milk? If he was able to suck several different times, he may have brought her to her milk, having emptied the colostrum. I would be prepaired to feed the calf some purchased colostrum (unless you have some from one of your mature cows - best!) Better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, good point. How would I know if she has any colostrum vs milk? When I saw him nurse he had foam on his lips- I heard colostrum doesn't foam , is that true?
So if I buy some colostrum, how much should I give it and what's the easiest way for me to get it in the calf? This'll be our first calf.

Thanks,
Susie

Well, a cow only produces colostrum once, so I would ASSUME it's gone - unless she hadn't really produced all that she was going to - but it doesn't take much to empty her, and re-empty her again. I would go with the assumption that her colostrum is "none" or not enough value left.
You buy powdered colostrum replacer. Life Line is an excellent product. There's also Colostrix and several other brands.
It is mixed with warm water. You can offer it to the calf in a bottle (preferably before it sucks mom & gets full on milk). Best if it receives colostrum within 1 hour of birth and no longer than 12 hours.
If it won't suck, it needs to be fed with an esophogeal tuber. You may not be ready to do this. Might check with neighbors & see if any has one (they're cheap & you should own one) and see if they can use it.

susie":1zccx21n said:
My heifer, due to calve ina couple of weeks, was letting our steer nurse from her. So when I saw that I seperated the two.
I was wondering if she will let the steer nurse after she calves ? I only have a small acreage so I don't want to be running two pastures for the cows.( I rotate the pastures ) I'll just have him butchered earlier than planned if that's the case.... but the real problem seems to be that She allows it--- I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem long-term with her--- like after she weans a calf letting it suck again when she's building up colostrum for the next calf. anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
Susie

I think Jeanne-Simme Valley, as usual, has given you some excellent advice. My guess is by the time you found the steer was nursing on the heifer he had already started her milk. Put him back around her and he'll go right to it again, and she will most likely allow it.

fitz

Thanks for the info- I'll go get some colostrum replacer and a bottle. Good things to have on hand anyway. I'll ask the Vet about tubing while I'm there.
Boy it's true when you have animals there's a bunch that can go wrong! I just had a goat come down with milk fever a coupla days ago had to nurse her through that, but have a cute little doeling from her and they are both doing fine now :)
The plan for the steer is to fence him in a small area with a HOT electric fencer, feed him out on all the hay we have left , grain him out too, then call the butcher. No sense the hay going to waste.

Susie

The only catrch to the packaged replacemnt is that it has an expiration date. Check it when you buy it to make sure it's at least a year and preferably 2 years away

dun

Latest posts