heifer found dead this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

shanbruce

Reaction score
I am new to cattle farming and new to this site. We have around 12 mixed breed beef cattle. Yesterday one of the heifers (Santa Gertrudis/Charlois cross) was laying down under a shade tree. I never thought anything about it or the fact that she wasn't with the rest of the herd until this morning when I left for work, she was still there only laying on her side, back legs were stiff, pink foam was coming out of her nose. My cousin had stopped by this morning and saw her too. He went out to check on her because he thought she may be calving. He said there was mucous coming out of her rear. If she was bred, she was only in her first stage. Does anyone have any info on something like this? She was fine the day before.

The only way to tell for sure is to get the Vet out and have him cut her open . Most of the time they can tell you why a cow died.

was the discharge clear/ bloody/or was it infection? and are you sure about her calving date? any time one is off by itself there is a reason. their either calving/sick or bullied. it always,always deserves investigating

I don't know. He just said mucous. I know she had just been bred probably not even 2 months ago. I will look more after work and probably post again Monday. Thank you for your advice. You are right. I should have paid more attention that she was by herself. That is a lesson I won't forget.

ALACOWMAN":lh3scxql said:
was the discharge clear/ bloody/or was it infection? and are you sure about her calving date? any time one is off by itself there is a reason. their either calving/sick or bullied. it always,always deserves investigating

shanbruce":1tuhh8fi said:
I should have paid more attention that she was by herself. That is a lesson I won't forget.

shanbruce I have caught them in plenty of time, hauled them to the vet, and still lose them. The difference there is you still have a vet bill to pay, along with losing the cow.

I think I would have a vet come out and take a look at her. The sooner the better. You never know, it could be that something is brewing within the whole bunch. I'd hate to see you lose more. We can all postulate problems such as feed, viruses, and such, but only a vet can tell for sure. If I were you, I'd be wanting to know if that problem was isolated to the one cow or if the others are possibly sick.

Drought can put grasses in stress and cows can die from eating such things as Johnson grass. If that's the case, I'd move them off of that patch. You definately need to know what happened. How else can you preclude this from recurring?

backhoeboogie":15j2dim7 said:
shanbruce":15j2dim7 said:
I should have paid more attention that she was by herself. That is a lesson I won't forget.

shanbruce I have caught them in
  • plenty of time, hauled them
to the vet, and still lose them. The difference there is you still have a vet bill to pay, along with losing the cow.

I think I would have a vet come out and take a look at her. The sooner the better. You never know, it could be that something is brewing within the whole bunch. I'd hate to see you lose more. We can all postulate problems such as feed, viruses, and such, but only a vet can tell for sure. If I were you, I'd be wanting to know if that problem was isolated to the one cow or if the others are possibly sick.

Drought can put grasses in stress and cows can die from eating such things as Johnson grass. If that's the case, I'd move them off of that patch. You definately need to know what happened. How else can you preclude this from recurring?
you got a vet bill along with the clear conscious that you did every thing possible you could. not running shanbruce down we all have kicked our selves but its lessons learned like this one that keep you on your toes

shanbruce":3qqc9v5y said:
Yesterday one of the heifers (Santa Gertrudis/Charlois cross) was laying down under a shade tree. I never thought anything about it or the fact that she wasn't with the rest of the herd until this morning when I left for work, she was still there only laying on her side, back legs were stiff, pink foam was coming out of her nose.

You didn't happen to have any thunderstorms lately have you? Considering she was laying under a tree, I'm wondering if she got struck by lightning.

ALACOWMAN":uwwadnvq said:
poor ol mista lightnin he be done been blamed again :p misscamp im gonna have to fly out to the cowboy state and g ive you a spanking ;-)

Actually, I think msscamp asked a legitimate question. Many years ago my uncle had 16 cows killed by lightning in one shot. Over 1/3 of the herd. Almost put them out of business but they kept plugging along and finally recovered. I was 15 years old and was the one that discovered them. Was sort of exciting to me at the time but when I saw the look on my aunt and uncle's faces I knew how serious it really was. Wasn't a pretty sight.

Anyway, any time someone mentions lightning, I take it seriously.

lightning scares the crap out of me. ive had several close calls and seen what it can do to many many cows at one time. in this case i dont think it was lightning b/c he had noticed the cow hanging out alone earlier. could have been, more likely she was laying around b/c she was under the weather though.

(lightning WILL make their nose foam and knock the crap out of them, literally)

Beefy":3afmwp75 said:
lightning scares the crap out of me. ive had several close calls and seen what it can do to many many cows at one time. in this case i dont think it was lightning b/c he had noticed the cow hanging out alone earlier. could have been, more likely she was laying around b/c she was under the weather though.

Thanks, Beefy. I wasn't sure if she was alive or could have possibly already been dead the first day he noticed her under the tree - upon re-reading, though, it would appear she was alive. I withdraw my suggestion.

Alacowman, I really was being serious based on the fact that the cow was under a tree. We don't have animals killed by lightning often, but it has happened and they do tend to have pink foam coming out of their nose and the other, as well. I'm sure other diseases exhibit these symptoms as well, but it seemed to me to be a valid possibility.

I am sorry for your loss. To a small producer it is a big set back and even a large produer doesn't like to lose even one but, as Caustic said it comes with the territory.

msscamp":3v0e2ysg said:
Beefy":3v0e2ysg said:

Thanks, Beefy. I wasn't sure if she was alive or could have possibly already been dead the first day he noticed her under the tree - upon re-reading, though, it would appear she was alive. I withdraw my suggestion.

Alacowman, I really was being serious based on the fact that the cow was under a tree. We don't have animals killed by lightning often, but it has happened and they do tend to have pink foam coming out of their nose and the other, as well. I'm sure other diseases exhibit these symptoms as well, but it seemed to me to be a valid possibility.
i know you were miss camp but usually they go from chewing their cud too playing a harp with the angels when hit by lightning . he said he seen her off by her self and didnt think anything of it. im thinking it was something else. i know lightening could be a suspect but in storms they are all grouped together ;-) . ps i m still am a fan of yours any how :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":3brqmasf said:
msscamp":3brqmasf said:
Beefy":3brqmasf said:

i know you were miss camp but usually they go from chewing their cud too playing a harp with the angels when hit by lightning . he said he seen her off by her self and didnt think anything of it. im thinking it was something else. i know lightening could be a suspect but in storms they are all grouped together ;-) . ps i m still am a fan of yours any how :cboy:

Very valid points, all of them. I was batting a thousand all the way around that day - so much for my ability to think! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you, I am a fan of yours too! :D

Were they vaccinated for blackleg? Thats what it sounds like to me. Feel the inside of the back legs and see if you feel air bubbles under the skin. If you haven't already, you need to vaccinate before quick.

Latest posts