heifer doesn't want to claim calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiobeef

Reaction score
Had a 1st calf heifer that we had to pull a calf out of (backwards) this evening. She wouldn't lick him off. She just looks at him, we have them penned up together. I milked her colostrum out & only got 2 cups. Still trying to get him to take the bottle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Get the colostrum into the calf is the main thing now. Once that is done you can work on getting the heifer to take the calf. Might have to put her in the headgate for a few days.

kenny thomas":1z1w6rb8 said:
Get the colostrum into the calf is the main thing now. Once that is done you can work on getting the heifer to take the calf. Might have to put her in the headgate for a few days.

I agree and she bought a one way ticket as well.
Life is to short to deal with a POS cow.

Put some vanilla extract on the calf and a little bit on the heifers nose. She should start licking her calf off.

Thanks for the suggestions. Another person told my wife about the dog,but I like my dog too much to try that. She won't let him nurse unless I tie her up & stay in the pen to keep her from moving or kicking at him. She's learning the hard way. :bang:

Keep doing it. The nursing releases a "feel good" hormone that will help encourage the mothering instinct. When her milk is in full swing, she will learn to appreciate the relief, hopefully!
Good luck, I hope she comes around soon!

If she does end up claiming it, I would keep her. She will claim her calf next year. If not, I would ship her.

Hopefully this story had a happy ending. We've all been thru it. Backwards calves too.

I would "waste time" on them; it is not only my obligation as their owner and caretaker, it is also financially sound to keep them around until weaning if the cow can be persuaded to take the calf. It would of course put the cow on the cull list, usually it is an economical advantage to cull after weaning time.
Now, if putting them together does not work out it may be advantageous to sell the calf to someone prepared to bottle feed or who has a nurse cow, or it may be possible to graft the calf onto a cow who lost hers. In such case there may be reasons to sell the cow earlier.
In any case cows like this do not deserve a second chance next year.

One week update; the heifer acts sometimes like she cares about him,but still won't let him nurse without me tying her up & babysitting. :yuck: I am still hoping she'll come around. On the brighter side we had another 1st time heifer calve friday evening & she's doing it right ! :nod: we have 3 " experienced "cows to go.

I had to tie up a first timer twice a day for almost 3 weeks to get her to let her calf nurse. When switch finally clicked she has become one of the most loving and protective mommas that I've ever seen.

ohiobeef":2t0x7ufx said:
One week update; the heifer acts sometimes like she cares about him,but still won't let him nurse without me tying her up & babysitting. :yuck: I am still hoping she'll come around. On the brighter side we had another 1st time heifer calve friday evening & she's doing it right ! :nod: we have 3 " experienced "cows to go.

Thanks for the update. I had a 21 month old calve Thursday and it was a stroke of luck. Good mothering instincts. I wasn't expecting a calf this soon out of her. Wasn't paying attention to her like I should have been. She comes from a line of fertile genetics and I kept her. If she calves like the dam did, she'll be a real money maker.

Good luck with it. You are responsible for those calves. Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Latest posts