Heifer Delivery

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Roy Canada of Maple Leaf Farm (please Ryan, let's not discuss whether he is fluff and puff :D , just kidding, help yourself) delivered my heifer. Her registration number is 2741857. Due to calve to his herd bull in May. Ryan, you will like that. :D She did not stick to AI attempt which was the only caution Kris had on her. I did not use my entire percentage of the cost share money so I am thinking of getting another lower tier heifer to utilize my entire allotment. Whether you want or not, you are going to see pictures of her when I can get some. BTW: Kris says my pictures are clear but I am the worse photographer of cattle she has ever seen. :lol:

Ryan. Your comments on breeding have always caught my attention and I believe you think about breeding because it is an art that you enjoy. The act of learning and thinking has merit. :D Keep at it. But it is a subject like religion, politics and unions. Everyone has their biases and they are strong. :) Come armed with your sword and shield when you enter these halls and proffer your lessons on breeding because some one will be there to take your challenge. ;-)

I now have 16 Cows/heifers to calve next year. 11 are registered with the ASA.

Interesting watching the behavior of cattle. The new heifer is going through some intergration woes. The established cows are keeping her out of the feed area.
Here she is alone on the outside looking in.
m9272o.jpg

I took a couple flakes of a bale to relax her and Margo leaves the feed area to claim it:
2uz5bbc.jpg

axxiiv.jpg

35hqxs6.jpg

She looks good. She will fit right in. Amazing how great of converters simmental cattle are. I can vouch that that heifer was on pasture with about 30 other cows and no supplementation. They still have green grass, and there was no hay out where we saw her. Her condition looks just like all the other cattle at that ranch. Nice facility.
Give her 30 days and she will find her place in the pecking order.

Hey Ron,

Every Ruby's Wide Open I've seen have been nice and solid built. She should be a good one for
you. Roy's always seem to sell good. I think I was told he's going to have a Bull sale this year with
Tim White's Angus in Lexington (I think)... Not sure what's going on with that Belles/Bulls of the Bluegrass group anymore. I really like buying from the Welsh's offerings but they seem to being selling a lot at the Beef Expo's and Tn. Your going to be like me (with your increasing numbers) of Registered Simmental....how/where do you sell them all. The last couple of years its been really easy just word of mouth/previous buyers and I've sold more than I wanted to. But at some point the
market will settle down and there's no open sales for Registered Simmental in the State of Ky. Maybe the Beef Expo is? Heifers sell great their but you have to give away bulls their. I know a few other smaller breeders like you and I have approached me about trying to get another sale going but I'm at the point/thinking of going all Angus not to have to fight the politics of Simmental sales in this State.

Ah derrrrrr, boy am I dumb. I took ages to wake up to what was happening, I thought he was delivering as in the birth of a calf from your heifer Ron, couldn't work it out with the dates she was due, anyhow she looks great Ron you are developing a very nice uniform herd and like what was said you will be looking for an outlet for them they will be too good to head off to the sale barn.
Hey Ron, why don't you live out on the farm? From what I can see in photos you seem to have a house there.
Ken

B&G,
Ron can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this heifer was purchased with some incarnation of the 'Tobacco Buyout' settlement funds...

Doubt that KS was a big tobacco-producing state...probably no such monies available, but who knows what sort of 'giverment handouts' are out there.
I stopped chasing those 'government $$$' years ago - the hoops to jump through and strings attached usually meant I had to go back and re-do stuff on my own dime, after doing it the way they required resulted in failure.

HughesFamilyCattle":hy07qqc3 said:
Hey Ron,

Every Ruby's Wide Open I've seen have been nice and solid built. She should be a good one for
you. Roy's always seem to sell good. I think I was told he's going to have a Bull sale this year with
Tim White's Angus in Lexington (I think)... Not sure what's going on with that Belles/Bulls of the Bluegrass group anymore. I really like buying from the Welsh's offerings but they seem to being selling a lot at the Beef Expo's and Tn. Your going to be like me (with your increasing numbers) of Registered Simmental....how/where do you sell them all. The last couple of years its been really easy just word of mouth/previous buyers and I've sold more than I wanted to. But at some point the
market will settle down and there's no open sales for Registered Simmental in the State of Ky. Maybe the Beef Expo is? Heifers sell great their but you have to give away bulls their. I know a few other smaller breeders like you and I have approached me about trying to get another sale going but I'm at the point/thinking of going all Angus not to have to fight the politics of Simmental sales in this State.

Keith, I thought he said he is still part of the Belles of the Bluegrass group but I might be getting confused. Someone told us during the tour that one of the group was out. I just don't remember. Maybe Kris does. As you know, Double Diamond and Rocking P sell at the Belles. Rondal Dawson has a couple that he plans to sell at the Beef Expo. Those two heifers were gorgeous. Big, very solid and muscular. Kris was really impressed with one of those. The one might go as high as 10K which would make Rondal a happy guy.

inyati13":y8oddpg7 said:
HughesFamilyCattle":y8oddpg7 said:
Hey Ron,

Keith, I thought he said he is still part of the Belles of the Bluegrass group but I might be getting confused. Someone told us during the tour that one of the group was out. I just don't remember. Maybe Kris does. As you know, Double Diamond and Rocking P sell at the Belles. Rondal Dawson has a couple that he plans to sell at the Beef Expo. Those two heifers were gorgeous. Big, very solid and muscular. Kris was really impressed with one of those. The one might go as high as 10K which would make Rondal a happy guy.

Ron
We were told that he does not participate in the Belles any longer. Remember? He was one of the original founders.... but not any longer. Rondal (Misty Meadows) also had some super females he was saving for the Belles next fall. Great females, remember the Upgrade I loved Ron???

Lucky_P":8t9rdlpl said:
B&G,
Ron can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this heifer was purchased with some incarnation of the 'Tobacco Buyout' settlement funds...

Doubt that KS was a big tobacco-producing state...probably no such monies available, but who knows what sort of 'giverment handouts' are out there.
I stopped chasing those 'government $$$' years ago - the hoops to jump through and strings attached usually meant I had to go back and re-do stuff on my own dime, after doing it the way they required resulted in failure.

Yes. I bought this heifer under the CAIP program referred to as Cost Share. The money came to Kentucky as their share of the Tobacco Settlement with the big tobacco companies. The hoops are not that bad. I doubt that KS received a big portion of the settlement. I have not had any problems with the CAIP. I have received it 3 times in the last 5 years. I have put in fence, a heated automatic watering system, cattle handling facility and heifers. Not once did I have a single complication. You just have to document your expenses and submit proper documentation. All the projects have involved a cost share method. You pay for the project and then you get a percentage of the cost back as a check. The amount granted by the state has to be recorded as income on your federal tax return.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2ngu6yob said:
inyati13":2ngu6yob said:
HughesFamilyCattle":2ngu6yob said:
Hey Ron,

Ron
We were told that he does not participate in the Belles any longer. Remember? He was one of the original founders.... but not any longer. Rondal (Misty Meadows) also had some super females he was saving for the Belles next fall. Great females, remember the Upgrade I loved Ron???

Kris, you have an excellent memory. Yes, I thought I heard that somewhere. You got it right. Thanks. Yes, the ones he was saving for the Belles was in the lot closest to the main barn near the house.

wbvs58":1oz5w1j9 said:
Ah derrrrrr, boy am I dumb. I took ages to wake up to what was happening, I thought he was delivering as in the birth of a calf from your heifer Ron, couldn't work it out with the dates she was due, anyhow she looks great Ron you are developing a very nice uniform herd and like what was said you will be looking for an outlet for them they will be too good to head off to the sale barn.
Hey Ron, why don't you live out on the farm? From what I can see in photos you seem to have a house there.
Ken

Ken, that is my neighbor's house you see in the pictures. I have a nice remodeled post and pin hay barn and an old dilapidated tobacco barn. I also have a SteelMaster shop. I am planning a living quarters at the farm this year.

Latest posts