Heifer choice

Help Support CattleToday:

paddyboy

Reaction score
Going to show heifers this year, have picked my top 3 Maine-Anjou, Brangus and Angus but having trouble knowing which one is the best. Don't want to get stuck in a real competitive breed my first year. Which one is the best? or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm stepping waayyyy out on the limb, but wouldn't there be less people showing the Maine-Anjou and the most Angus in your area?
And welcome to the boards paddy :)

Alot is going to depend on where you plan on showing. All three breeds have a lot of competition at the spring majors. The classes are so big, that some don't even get to go into the ring, they are cut at the gate. I'm talking like 35 or 40 in some classes. But then, every breed has a lot of competition at the majors, just some less than others.

mom

Paddy;
Which one do you like? Show the one you like. It is more fun to win when there is lots of competition. Not much to brag about when you only beat a couple (depending on what you beat), but there is a lot to brag about when you beat 40.
Good luck with your decision. I'd choose in the following order:
Maine-Anjou
Angus
Brangus

I'm assuming you're talking about showing in TJLA or juniors. Brangus are going to have the smallest classes. It's probably a toss up after that.. Maines and Angus both have a lot of competition down here.

Latest posts