Heifer breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Cow-Calf Weekly

Develop Heifers To 50% Or 55% Of Mature Body Weight
For many years, it was recommended yearling heifers be developed to reach 60-65% of their projected mature body weight (MBW) prior to the start of their first breeding season. Recent research indicates this recommendation may be lowered to 55% of MBW without jeopardizing first- and second-calf conception rates.

In a three-year University of Nebraska study, a total of 261 March-born heifer calves were developed to reach either 55% of MBW prior to a 45-day breeding season, or 50% of MBW prior to a 60-day breeding season.

Extending the breeding season by 15 days for the heifers developed to 50% of MBW resulted in pregnancy, calving and weaning rates comparable to heifers developed to 55% of MBW. And reduced development costs in the 50% system more than offset reduced income from lighter weaning weights caused by later calving dates, resulting in lower costs to produce one pregnant yearling heifer or two-year-old cow.

The results suggest developing heifers to 50% of MBW prior to their first breeding season is a feasible alternative for some producers (Creighton et al. 2005. Univ. of Nebraska Beef Cattle Report MP 83-A).
-- Michigan State University "Beef Cattle Research Update," Spring, 2005

seems kinda small to me.. but that is jmo

jt

jt":25pokc45 said:
seems kinda small to me.. but that is jmo

jt

It does to me too. Seems like it would take a pretty high plane of nutrition from breeding to calving.

dun

i have always noticed that sometimes smaller heifers calve easier than large ones of the same breed. wonder if they are more limber?

A lot of the "old school" ranchers in this area also breed by this standard. I personally also think it's too small.. but then I"m looking for a good mature weight on the cow when she matures. Some other folks don't care about the heifer reaching her maximum mature weight.. they are more interested in getting a calf from her as soon as possible.

Sounds reasonable. I'm doing this now with a pretty young Hereford, but the bull being used is a very small Corriente from Mexico, who's calves consitently weigh in about 30-40 lbs. It seems to me that bull selection is even more important than randomly picking out a set age or set percentage of mature body weight. Left to roam in nature they get bred when it happens regardless of age, and the strong survive.

MY":2nrgg5rb said:
It seems to me that bull selection is even more important than randomly picking out a set age or set percentage of mature body weight..
If bulll selection is important why are you breeding to a Coriente??

Compact size calves, and you can get as much money out of a horned roping calf today as you can a straight beef calf.

Latest posts