Heifer breeding problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Need some advice on what to do, had a heifer preg checked today and the vet said she is either very short bred or not bred at all. Shes been with the bull since jan. Had another one checked and vet said she was 60 days bred. My question is should i sell her or hold onto her little longer and have her re checked in a month or so? These two heifers were some me and my dad got from a guy who fell on hard times and wasnt able to care for them. They are actually probly around 2 years old when we got them. We dont have alot invested in them which is a plus, my gut says keep the one thats bred, and sell the other. The vet said her uterus was small and soft and best she could tell was she is either reallt short bred or not bred. With her being with the bull for 4 months and being like she is should we sell? She doesnt have the best temperment neither.

Sd1030":291z34gr said:
Need some advice on what to do, had a heifer preg checked today and the vet said she is either very short bred or not bred at all. Shes been with the bull since jan. Had another one checked and vet said she was 60 days bred. My question is should i sell her or hold onto her little longer and have her re checked in a month or so? These two heifers were some me and my dad got from a guy who fell on hard times and wasnt able to care for them. They are actually probly around 2 years old when we got them. We dont have alot invested in them which is a plus, my gut says keep the one thats bred, and sell the other. The vet said her uterus was small and soft and best she could tell was she is either reallt short bred or not bred. With her being with the bull for 4 months and being like she is should we sell? She doesnt have the best temperment neither.
So either the heifers aren't very fertile or your bull isn't fertile.....figure out which one it is and fix it. :2cents:

Looking at your timeline....the 60 day bred one is probably ok. If it's not a bull problem, the open I'd get rid of and try again.

King, can you explain what the blood test will show or how it works? Im very new at this so thats probly a dumb question. Is it worth it to go that route or should i sell her and replace her with a older bred cow to avoid the possible complications 1st calf heifers can have?
Vett, i dont think its a bull problem i know its a possiblity but i dont think its him. Ive seen him breed the other cows and i hsvent seen them coming back in heat, so i feel like they got bred. Currently i dont have a way to preg check them without going to the vet, i also aint exactly sure how either. Like i said im new at this and trying to learn all i can.

Blood test will pick up pregnancy that vet cant feel yet. Cheap assurance to a heifers fate.

What age, and shape was she in? Good feed and mineral out?..

edit, I see they were 2.. If they were malnourished she likely just needs time,

"She doesnt have the best temperment neither"

I would probably cull her for that than I would not being bred. Being open would seal the deal. Sell her and buy an older cow that is bred about the same as your heifer. Maybe you'll get lucky and have two like kind calves to market.

bird dog":fhvp49bo said:
"She doesnt have the best temperment neither"

I would probably cull her for that than I would not being bred. Being open would seal the deal. Sell her and buy an older cow that is bred about the same as your heifer. Maybe you'll get lucky and have two like kind calves to market.

I second that!

I wouldn't sell her for not being bred. Heifers will come in and breed when they are ready too. She just needs a little more in that regard. However, not being a good temperament cow that is where I might would draw the line. I don't like crazy cows. On the not breeding part.....she will be fine and breed when she is ready give her a little more time in that department....As long as you don't have to have a cow calve at a certain time at least.

Big Cheese":36x1jfnx said:
I wouldn't sell her for not being bred. Heifers will come in and breed when they are ready too. She just needs a little more in that regard. However, not being a good temperament cow that is where I might would draw the line. I don't like crazy cows. On the not breeding part.....she will be fine and breed when she is ready give her a little more time in that department....As long as you don't have to have a cow calve at a certain time at least.

I disagree about giving a heifer more time. Assuming she's old enough, big enough, has received proper nutrition, and the bull is good, then she should be bred. If she's not, then it's probably a basic fertility issue that won't improve as she gets older. Unless you don't care if she calves every 16 or 18 months, instead of every 12.

I do agree with selling her if she has an attitude problem.

Rafter S":2ngutrg1 said:
Big Cheese":2ngutrg1 said:

I disagree about giving a heifer more time. Assuming she's old enough, big enough, has received proper nutrition, and the bull is good, then she should be bred. If she's not, then it's probably a basic fertility issue that won't improve as she gets older. Unless you don't care if she calves every 16 or 18 months, instead of every 12.

He said that the heifer was on the poor side when he got her. She probably didn't get up to par as fast as the other heifer. I feel like she wont have a fertility problem once she breeds she should calve every 12 months from then on....key word being should though lol. But being bad tempered and then not being bred I would probably get rid of her...not being bred being the last straw on it.

Rafter S":ao45agzz said:
Big Cheese":ao45agzz said:

X 2!!!!!!

Thanks for the input yall. One thing i want to point out is she wasnt poor as in bad body condition, however she may not have been a good mineral program. Like i mentioned it was more or less a rescue deal since the guy who had them fell on hard times losing two family members within a month of each other to cancer, he just had to much on his plate to worry with cows, and made us a good deal on them. Anyways as far as her tempermant shes seems to be getting better, but she still acts alittle different at times compared to our other cows. I think we are leaning hard to getting rid of her as it stands right now.

Sell her buy something else is my first thought. It would also be a good idea to have a bse on the bull. Not just due to the open heifer, just good info to have.

Latest posts