Heifer bred to young

Help Support CattleToday:

Judy R

Reaction score
My bull of 9 months of age got in with my young heifer 13 months old and she shows all the signs of being bred. What do I have to watch for and prepare for in June

My bull of 9 months of age got in with my young heifer 13 months old and she shows all the signs of being bred. What do I have to watch for and prepare for in June
You can get with your vet. They have a shot that will make her cycle without harming her. Then you can breed her at the appropriate age. That will let her grow and you will end up with a full sized calf and a full grown cow. It will also lessen the chance of having to pull a calf.

I live in Alaska. Vets are few and far between.
When time comes i will be on my own. My friend said that she will be 1 month away from her 2nd birthday so she should be ok. My bull was picked because he is genetic line throws 60 pound calfs at birth.
My heifer is half holstein half Red Angus. The bull is out of sub zero.
I just need to know what to expect so I can be ready for anything that can happen.

getting bred at 13 months is fine if you have an indication or history that the bull will have a good calving ease number. anything else that I would mention would be the same as Ken's post.

Most likely wake up one morning and see a calf running around.

If she bags up and her teats go tight you know she's not far off. Once you see her start pushing or see feet give her an hour, if no progress, time to give her a hand by checking position of the calf and then assisting her.

Latest posts