Heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
At what age do cows usually come into their first heat? My bf said he saw some blackish discharge from our heifer tonight. I didnt notice yesterday. She ate well and acted normal. She is about 415 pounds, maybe about 5-6 months old.

She could have came into heat, she's at the right age. Usally the first heat is around 6 months. You shouldn't breed her until she's around 15 months.

Alan

Alan":1jt252b5 said:
She could have came into heat, she's at the right age. Usally the first heat is around 6 months. You shouldn't breed her until she's around 15 months.

Alan

Alan, I don't think 6 mos. is the norm for heifer's first heat. Granted occasionally one will be that early. Nine mos. and up is more normal in my herd. This does not mean that I wait until that age to separate them from the bulls.

VtMapleGal":3gkla1f2 said:
At what age do cows usually come into their first heat? My bf said he saw some blackish discharge from our heifer tonight. I didnt notice yesterday. She ate well and acted normal. She is about 415 pounds, maybe about 5-6 months old.

Brama and Brama influance hefiers mature sexually slower than most breed's, I have had some hefiers come in that early, i belive that it all depends on nutrition they recive in the first six monthes... Someone correct me if a am wrong on that?

It could also be something else.

It's related to both age and weight, perhaps influenced more strongly by weight than by age.

My holsteins don't usually start cycling until 10-11 months.

and I have done a full term caesarian on a 14 month Jersey heifer !!!

Nothing surprises me anymore!

i had one at one time come into heat at 3 months,had a calf at 12 months,luckly the longhorn bull got her,her and calf did fine,dont want any that young though,

Latest posts