Heat Stress Relief 107 degree heat

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
107 degree heat, feels like 112. Most of my cows have a little brahman so they make it. My hereford bull is having a hard time. The other day bad salivating, fast heavy breathing, all the signs of heat stress... today he was laying down next to the trough, in the shade, breathing really hard, I hosed him down for 10 minutes. He stood there the whole time and let me do it. On the days I work ALL DAY what do ya'll think about having him in a shady corral or pen with a sprinkler going over him? There is no stock tank on the property and I paid too much for this big guy to lose him.

If he's having that rough of a time then you gotta do what ya gotta do. My Hereford cows and bull aren't doing bad though. Is he fat?

5S Cattle":3a0cny8k said:
If he's having that rough of a time then you gotta do what ya gotta do. My Hereford cows and bull aren't doing bad though. Is he fat?
No, he is big but not fat. I am only feeding hay, just letting him work but the last cow in heat was a week ago. He is darker then the few hereford cows I have.

BK9954":og0an8in said:
107 degree heat, feels like 112. Most of my cows have a little brahman so they make it. My hereford bull is having a hard time. The other day bad salivating, fast heavy breathing, all the signs of heat stress... today he was laying down next to the trough, in the shade, breathing really hard, I hosed him down for 10 minutes. He stood there the whole time and let me do it. On the days I work ALL DAY what do ya'll think about having him in a shady corral or pen with a sprinkler going over him? There is no stock tank on the property and I paid too much for this big guy to lose him.

Your idea works for me - and it might be the saving grace - nothing ventured means nothing gained. Shade and moisture work - choice is yours but I know i would try it.

Best to you.

It is suprising to me your Hereford is having issues. We are having days as high as 113 with humidity and our Herefords usually handle it better than our Angus. Although so far neither has had any trouble. But it seems the hardiness and ability to handle heat has been lost in some Herefords and Angus. We have had a few Angus over the past 3-4 years that couldn't handle the heat and they have been culled.

elkwc":3rxnfw37 said:
It is suprising to me your Hereford is having issues. We are having days as high as 113 with humidity and our Herefords usually handle it better than our Angus. Although so far neither has had any trouble. But it seems the hardiness and ability to handle heat has been lost in some Herefords and Angus. We have had a few Angus over the past 3-4 years that couldn't handle the heat and they have been culled.
Might have to do where he came from. The Herefords from cooler climates that I have encountered seem to struggle in the heat some. But we're talking 107. So it's only 10 degrees above 97.....and 97 isn't all that comfortable.

1982vett":6ldprqms said:
elkwc":6ldprqms said:
Might have to do where he came from. The Herefords from cooler climates that I have encountered seem to struggle in the heat some. But we're talking 107. So it's only 10 degrees above 97.....and 97 isn't all that comfortable.
I know this breeder used semen from all the world. Canada, Australia.... etc.... this bull is registered but I don't know enough about the logistics of the breed.. his hair is thicker than others

I have a herford angus cow and also have noticed this week it's been acting strange. Here in New Mexico and it's record hot. Cows have shade but this cow eats very little and lays down. Or maybe she is sick ? Never seen a cow act like this? Neighbor thinks it's worms.

I once heard a story about cattle being hauled in hot weather where the trucker was concerned because the cattle were all breathing hard and salivating so he took a hose and sprayed them down and many died on the spot from shock. I've always wondered if that was true. Is that a concern to any of you?

To the OP - you can buy low pressure mist nozzles that work really good. Doesn't use as much water or make as big of mud hole where they crowd either.