Heat pumps?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Our AC is down for the second time in the last week. They say I should probably considering replacing. Got a lead somewhere, 14 year old system. Any suggestions on brands to avoid or ones that have given good service?

I've had good luck with Lennox. Truthfully, dealer support and reputation is probably more important than brand. The higher seer rating the better. Will pay for the difference in price in efficiency.

tom4018":3g0yb2jp said:
Our AC is down for the second time in the last week. They say I should probably considering replacing. Got a lead somewhere, 14 year old system. Any suggestions on brands to avoid or ones that have given good service?

My AC guy says Trane or American Standard ours is a Trane had to have the fan motor replaced on the outside unit and a starter capacitor in 11 years
Might fall apart tomorrow

"The higher seer rating the better."

This is a matter of opinion. The higher the seer rating the more efficient it is suppose to be. There are also more electronic circuits and switches.

I contend the higher seer rating the unit has the more and sooner you will need service!

The only time my AC quits is when I'm using it, which means it's hot outside. Calling the repairman doesn't get quick turn around in extreme hot weather. So I buy a unit that is a notch or two below the top seer rating, and a brand with a reliable service guy nearby.

We have an American Standard that has been going 18 years with very few problems. May quit tonight, but so far it has done well.
We had Trane before this at our old house, but did not like it as well.

Any one got a Ruud? A guy that installs them can get to me the quickest.

I had a Janitrol for 15 years and the outside unit was replaced with a Goodman bout ten years ago. So far the outside unit has been trouble free. Last year I did replace the motor and capacitor on the inside handler unit myself which had been going for 25 years. (motor and capacitor cost around $200 with my free labor).

With the new government rules now if either unit goes out beyond being fixed you have to replace the whole unit and it has to meet a certain seer level.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... iency.html

tom4018":lipz11ve said:
Got a Lennox now but when it goes out am seriously considering a Trane. The Lennox has been very reliable though but I jusgt keep hearing a lot of good things about Trane.

I have a friend who installs them on the side. He said that he went to a factory training seminar at one of the major manufacturers (I can't remember which) and there were models for 3 or 4 different name brands rolling off the same assembly line, they just different badges at the end. I'd pick who I considered the best local service provider, and use what they recommend.

cfpinz":29g1pgab said:
I have a friend who installs them on the side. He said that he went to a factory training seminar at one of the major manufacturers (I can't remember which) and there were models for 3 or 4 different name brands rolling off the same assembly line, they just different badges at the end. I'd pick who I considered the best local service provider, and use what they recommend.

Ditto

cfpinz":370ek1m8 said:
Might have to see if they'll let me take a peek at the Trane Plant next time I'm in Waco,Tx.

Crane here too but not a heat pump. 8 years old and only trouble was this last spring when a rat snake got in the condenser unit and wrapped up in the fan. Burned out the start/run capacitor. Cost me $20. Small price to pay for one more dead snake IMO.

I and both my sisters use an independent a/c guy. Night, day, 4th of July, he never balks, does good work, big inventory of parts, has never been more than a few hours getting to the site and from what they say too, is dirt cheap.

There are so many options out there. Tried to deal with a local place in our small town that does Carrier but they were going to be a while to do a install but price competitive. Went with a new American Standard from a independent father/son operation. Came highly recommended and gave great fast service. I even helped them some and they knocked a $100 off the quoted price. They were within a couple hundred of the cheapest price. Might have been a mistake but I went with them. Now days it seems hard to know which way to go. Really didn't need to spend this money but it was does this or do without. Grew up without AC, parents got it after I moved out :? . Really would hate to do without it now but know lots of people do.

I've been told Trane and American Standard are made on the same line as well. I like them both. Got a 1997 Trane xl 1200 thats had zero problem. Several American Standard unit that perform. I don't care for Amana they are the same as Goodman. Rheem and Rudd are the same folks. I've had both. I'll go with American Standard.

Latest posts