heat detection

Help Support CattleToday:

I used the Estrotect patches and I was always getting false positives.

cow pollinater":2o0bxre6 said:
If that cow is pacing enough for a pedometer to catch you should be able to spot her from a mile away without spending $11,000. And that$11,000 on pedometers still won't find the old cows that don't pace... You'll have to go look at those every day like you already do.

That is exactly what my thinking was. Everyone keeps telling me that these electronic systems are expensive upfront, but willl pay themselves off when you start having a higher breeding success. But I have also heard that even with an electronic system, it is good to still use tail paint or patches as a secondary. Seems like a waste to me. My All-Weather Paintstik and eyes have worked this far.....I think I might just stick it out for now.

I have used the heat watch system and think it has worked great. however its a lot easier to just synchronize, if you are wanting to A.I. plus you can do it whenever you want, and all at once.

this might be directing the post away from the original electronic heat detection but i was wondering about the tail paint method. also the neck ball marker? im picturing just a collar with a ball soaked in paint that rubs off on the cows back when shes been rode but not quite sure if im picturing right. can anyone steer me to what im lookin for thanks.

double_B_ranch":1qfz7n81 said:
this might be directing the post away from the original electronic heat detection but i was wondering about the tail paint method. also the neck ball marker? im picturing just a collar with a ball soaked in paint that rubs off on the cows back when shes been rode but not quite sure if im picturing right. can anyone steer me to what im lookin for thanks.
The lnk has a picture of a chinball marker
http://www.cattlestore.com/p-1444-kow-b ... arker.aspx

double_B_ranch":2dtc568l said:
Thanks for the link Dun that was kinda what i was imagining. what about the paint tail method? how is that done?
You juts use a paint stick over the hips between the tail head and the hooks, a width of about 2 hands. When they've been ridden the paint gets rubbed off.

TexasBred":apxluex9 said:
novatech":apxluex9 said:
Best system I ever had was a gomer bull and chin ball marker.
A couple or three little 400 lb. bull calves work well for me.
LIttle rascals are pretty darn accurate, and you don't have to wonder who is the one in heat - LOL
We time breed due to AI techs schedule. I still put patches on them to get an idea of how many are really "ready " to be AI"d.
Valerie

TexasBred":3tijlt61 said:
novatech":3tijlt61 said:

Yep, i got a 7 month old bull calve that's doing a pretty good job of telling me which one is in heat.

curtis":pqzps0ou said:
TexasBred":pqzps0ou said:
novatech":pqzps0ou said:

Yep, i got a 7 month old bull calve that's doing a pretty good job of telling me which one is in heat.

That's what I use this side - call them 'heat seekers' ;-) .

Latest posts