Heat detection

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
I am have a hard time keeping patches on. I have one heifer who keeps ripping them off. Anything I can put on them to keep her from doing this? She is driving me crazy.

use cattle marking chalk sticks

cheaper and nothing to grab to pull off.

comes in all sorts of colors.

they even have liquid stuff now that you can squirt on the tailhead but I still like the chalk.

Clip her tailhead and wipe it down with alchohol before you put the tag on. It should stick like white on rice.

When we synced some cows (another saga to follow) we used the ones from ABS. They all stuck so well that when we pulled them they are now bald where the tag was. All except one. Hereford cow with that curly coat, came off of her the first time someone mounted her.

Are you talking about the "scratch off" tags? They need to be warmed up when you put them on.
Also, I learned the hard way - don't delice or deworm when you put them on. Presto - they just slide off.
(that was a real DUH moment!)
I've used the chalk (crayon) for many years. works.

We used orange chalk at the dairy, it was way cheaper and faster to apply then the patches. Several years ago I saw a neighbor use the Target or Wal-mart spray cans. At 99 cents a can, its fast, easy and you can paint several cows per can. I put it on thicker than most.

Starting a few years back I started buying 5 gal buckets of the cheapest, chalky white, latex indoor house paint and put it on with small scrub brush, it stays pretty well unless the cows start shedding bad.

I keep all the butts painted and repaint them after insemination, that way when I ride the pastures I can just watch the cows W/O paint.@

Doesn't help with your problem but wanted to share that you are not alone. Went out and happily painted a bunch of cows that had been AI'd to see if they missed and if the bull would get his chance at them. Nice bright blue crayon. My heart sank when I saw one cow that had her blue line completely mussed up. I really wanted this cow caught AI. Then I saw the bull and noticed he had no blue on his chest. As I was pondering this one of my yearling heifers wandered over to say hello. Her head was blue from nose to forehead. Apparently she had rubbed her head on the cow when she was laying down. I am discovering that the crayon does not come off quickly under normal wear either, it's a different brand than I have used in the past. So this heifer had her hind end done and she did her own head... she looks like a wannabe smurf.

Victoria":iyc9l1ik said:
Doesn't help with your problem but wanted to share that you are not alone. Went out and happily painted a bunch of cows that had been AI'd to see if they missed and if the bull would get his chance at them. Nice bright blue crayon. My heart sank when I saw one cow that had her blue line completely mussed up. I really wanted this cow caught AI. Then I saw the bull and noticed he had no blue on his chest. As I was pondering this one of my yearling heifers wandered over to say hello. Her head was blue from nose to forehead. Apparently she had rubbed her head on the cow when she was laying down. I am discovering that the crayon does not come off quickly under normal wear either, it's a different brand than I have used in the past. So this heifer had her hind end done and she did her own head... she looks like a wannabe smurf.

At least when we learn a lesson, we can get a really good laugh out of it too!! THose are my kind of life's lessons. lol
Valerie

Latest posts