Heat Detection Patches

Help Support CattleToday:

It helps on the ones in heat during the night - or while you are not around. Sure, if it's muddy out, you can easily tell who was in heat - or if they are lousy, their hair will be rubbed off. But, if ground is dry & they are clean, can be hard to catch night heats. Like I tell everyone - they are just a TOOL - not foolproof. But, if it helps me catch a couple that I may have missed - priceless - since I am 100% AI and on a stick time table.

Hubby tried the Standing Heat patches today. Says they're intriguing and he's curious as to how they'll do so we went half/half on some heifers we are breeding for someone else. He was impressed with their sticking power.

Real test will be the heats!

NEFarmwife said:
Hubby tried the Standing Heat patches today. Says they're intriguing and he's curious as to how they'll do so we went half/half on some heifers we are breeding for someone else. He was impressed with their sticking power.

We've been using estrotect for many years. We brush the tail head and heat the patch with a heat gun and they stay well. We do loose some on a few cows that seem to always get them off with their their tails.
I've never heard of Standing Heat Patches but I'm going to look into them and would love an update when you can as to how they compared for you. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new changes for estrotect. Haven't tried them yet but can read the "old ones" like a book and have success with them. A lot of times it seems companies change what is great to make them better and it makes them worse. That's why I haven't gotten any of the new ones yet.

Double R Ranch said:
NEFarmwife said:

We've been using estrotect for many years. We brush the tail head and heat the patch with a heat gun and they stay well. We do loose some on a few cows that seem to always get them off with their their tails.
I've never heard of Standing Heat Patches but I'm going to look into them and would love an update when you can as to how they compared for you. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new changes for estrotect. Haven't tried them yet but can read the "old ones" like a book and have success with them. A lot of times it seems companies change what is great to make them better and it makes them worse. That's why I haven't gotten any of the new ones yet.

Liked them. They stick a lot better! We also felt confident when they were in heat as opposed to "coming into" or "not as strong of..."

We only got 100 of them first round. Wanted to try them first. Went back and got what we needed to finish our breedings as opposed to the estrotech. I'd say anyone that breeds in warmer weather, these would almost be a must. They don't rub nothing unless it's a heat. No false positives, so to speak.

That's awesome! I'll get some then! We start breeding in about a month. Still have some Estrotect left but I'll just hold onto them and get the new ones. Surprised I haven't seen anything about them in magazines etc.
Thanks for the report back!

Latest posts