healing lungs

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
Will try and make this short. Some might have read a post I did awhile back. Poss date 9/13. Weight 620. 8 hr trip from pick-up back to the house. Week after arrival started a fever and cough. Took care of that and had fever down to normal with in 2 weeks (Draxxin then Nuflor Gold). Highest it got was 105.3 in that time period. He nvr stopped
eating or drinking the whole time. Eating 22lbs a day (Purina fitters Edge and wants more) and weighed 790 Sunday (170lb gain in 48 days). Ive had this happpen with shipping before but not to this extinct. We have layed off him, not really walking or tying up to insure full recovery. When I feed in the morning (4:30 am) his coat is wet, like almost sprayed with a hose but His temp ranges bwt 101.5 and 103.5 any given day. The problem is he's still heavy breathed. Walked him yesterday and he got winded. Layed off today and just tyed him up the fence. Nose even with tail head in front of fan. Within 10 mins he had his tongue sticking out. I untied and he walked to the fan with his mouth open, tongue out and coughing for 5 mins or so then back to normal. Our temps are low 70's day 50-60 @ night. Question is... Anything else I can do except wait? Have a show in 3 months and feel we can't even work him. Frustrated

Sounds a lot like a lunger. Hopefully for you, it don't go with it. I've seen them get over it, but not always.

Kinda like there has been lung damage (irreversible). Every little thing will put it out of breath, or put it back over the edge.

He was fine when I got him. Treated within a day of a fever with antibiotics. Didn't know their lungs could get that screwed up in a week. I have another round of Nu Flor gold I could hit him with 48cc. Any thought to that

If he is eating and the temp is low hes probably a lunger. Sometimes It only takes hours to damage the lungs. The problem is with cattle is that they just barely have enough lung capacity to function with perfect lungs. So a little damage has a big impact.
If this is his problem showing in three months is out and you will be lucky to salvage him.

He might get better over the winter- make sure hes in the freezer before it warms up in the spring. The bigger he gets and the hotter/humid it is the more problems he will have.

He's still got quite awhile of recovery time ahead of him... and who knows if he had a previous history of respiratory treatment as a calf... give him time and see what happens.

And I certainly would not tie, or tie the head up, of an animal with recent respiratory disease. Give him a month off, and see how he looks in December.

Thanks alot. Will hold off. This calf has been shown before.. He's been closely handled. Wasn't found sick on the back 40. His temp rises and falls. 104 the highest in the last week 1/2 .mostly 101.5 -103.Will give him time off more. So another round of meds wouldn't have any effect ya think? Can't wait for the cooler temps to come

Depends on the way the calf looks. If he's not improved (attitude, appetite, breathing/respiratory effort, temp) then retreating would probably be the best option assuming the diagnosis is correct and still the same as the original problem (how's that for evading an answer? ha!). "Improvement" tends to be subjective and dependent on the treater's experience. What I call improvement today is different from what I thought was improved a few years ago, and sometimes even a few months ago.

Whether it's right for your calf - maybe.

I try not to make treatment recommendations over the internet. Shucks - I tend to drive to see calves on the place I work, not make recommendations over the phone or text, and I've got a good crew and know their abilities pretty well already.

Lol. I completely understand and I really appreciate your time. I think I'll give him 48cc Nor Flor gold tomm. Don't see how it could hurt. Temps jacking up to the 80s here Friday then dropping off.

Latest posts