chronic lungs?

Help Support CattleToday:

rcnjcn

Reaction score
I have a 450 lb calf who seems to have lung damage, he had pneumonia as a baby and recovered quickly, now as the weather becomes warmer and more humid his breathing is more labored. He doesn't grow as well as the others either. Is there any ideas on this.

unfortantly this is what happens to most of them that has had a bad case of pneumonia. They just don't seem to grow off as well. This is why we treat fast and hard on first onset.

Scarring takes place in the Lungs, in severe cases. Cattle are not athletic animals to start with, and when they have this scarring, their lung capacity becomes very limited. We had a similar problem with a Bull that had pneumonia, and he never grew out well. Shipped him.

as stated the calf has scar tissue in the lungs and wont get no better an he will die when it gets to hot for him so id cull him now if it was me scott

Unfortunately, that's the same results we've experienced. When I raised bottle calves, any that had severe pneumonia or recuring cases never were good doers. Some managed to have a calf or two, but eventually it caught up with them.

Probably best to cut your losses now.

Latest posts