Head Scratcher

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences. Yesterday afternoon i went to unroll the recip herd a bale of hay. These are commercial cows due 2-26-20 with embryo calves. One of the cows had a calf at side. These cows were palpated open and synchronized before implanting embryos. Could she had slipped through the palpation and also the Lute not terminating the pregnancy or could the calf be this early? I feel like my embryologist would have noticed if she was two months bred at implant time since she can usually tell approximately how many days bred a cow is. It is not a small calf at all, weight 74 lbs and nursing well. Plan now is to dna the calf at weaning.

No way could it be that early. Very interesting! I wonder if she somehow just got passed through? An open gate? Anyone who does embryo transplants has to palpate both ovaries for a CL. They know when a cow is pregnant. When I AI, I usually feel both horns of the uterus as I manipulate the cervix. Could your embryologist have missed this cow?

I don't know anything about embryo calves, but believe that cow must have slipped through the cracks at ever step a long the way. I don't think that calf is from the embryo work, it would be over 2 months early if it was. I doubt that the calf would be developed enough at under 7 months to be found up and nursing.

a calf that early would be pretty much hairless at this time I think.. I'm sure it must have been a missed pregnancy, especially at 74 lbs
Might not have been what you were going for, but at least it's a live, healthy calf

Nesikep said:
a calf that early would be pretty much hairless at this time I think.. I'm sure it must have been a missed pregnancy, especially at 74 lbs
Might not have been what you were going for, but at least it's a live, healthy calf

At 7 months they are pretty much hairless. The earliest calf I have raised was 30 days early. The first 3 days was touch and go. He made it.....that calf was Gimli. He is now a bull on a man's farm.

I have had a few that have not slipped the pregnancy when given Lute. I think it was a slip up but why they didn't feel it at implant???? Sometimes you just miss one. A live calf is better than no calf even if it wasn't the breeding you planned for.

bird dog said:
Did the cow bag up? If it was that premature, i doubt she would have much milk.

Yes she bagged up and has plenty of milk. I told my wife i thought she was springing a couple weeks ago.

I had a cow slip a pair of twins at about 7 months and they did not have any hair yet and probably only weighed about 30 lbs. I have given cows/heifers a shot of lute that did not cycle because they were bred. My vet said if their level of pregnancy-specific vitamin B is high enough, they will not respond to the lute. agree with farmerjan that a live calf is better than no calf.

And here I was thinking there would be plans to build something too stop moo and co using my quad, 4wd, tractor, barn and everthing else to scratch a head.... :yuck: :lol: :stop:

greggy said:
And here I was thinking there would be plans to build something too stop moo and co using my quad, 4wd, tractor, barn and everthing else to scratch a head.... :yuck: :lol: :stop:

I won't lie, that was the first thing that crossed my mind too

Latest posts