Calf born with large head

Help Support CattleToday:

trinityranch

Reaction score
Had a weird one today. Cow went into labor three weeks before herd due date. I checked rectally and felt head so I let her labor. After waiting for a bit, I checked vaginally, it had both feet back. It was fairly easy correcting, but something felt off, so we assisted her. Calf is 60 lbs and full term, but has extra thick head and neck muscles and is breathing snorty. In 15 years have never seen this, although in pretty sure it's dwarfism. He is SITTING up, swallowing some milk, not sure what prognosis is? Anybody else seen this?

trinityranch":itjiyape said:
Had a weird one today. Cow went into labor three weeks before herd due date. I checked rectally and felt head so I let her labor. After waiting for a bit, I checked vaginally, it had both feet back. It was fairly easy correcting, but something felt off, so we assisted her. Calf is 60 lbs and full term, but has extra thick head and neck muscles and is breathing snorty. In 15 years have never seen this, although in pretty sure it's dwarfism. He is SITTING up, swallowing some milk, not sure what prognosis is? Anybody else seen this?
I've seen snorter dwarfs,,,which is what it sounds like.. is he closely inbred????......""But"" she may have been in labor for awhile..which might cause fluid on the lungs and swelling..wouldn't condemn him yet..if he is a snorter, it's best to euthanize him

Photo?

Not just a swollen head/neck from being stuck in the birth canal for a long time?
If that were to be the case, the swelling will dissipate.

You are right! Been a busy 24 hours but the swelling is almost gone with a shot of banamine. He is still needing lots of care being a preemie, but has a good will to live! Here's hoping!

Swelling would have gone away without the banamine... it was not an inflammatory process, so the banamine really had no role in the process.

Latest posts