Haymaster Nutrition Injection System

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Any experience with this round bale molasses and protein injection system? It looks like it should work, but it seems pretty spendy to me at over 2K for the equipment plus a couple bucks per bale for the mix.

Stocker Steve":mewrzdpz said:
Any experience with this round bale molasses and protein injection system? It looks like it should work, but it seems pretty spendy to me at over 2K for the equipment plus a couple bucks per bale for the mix.

Hay; as hard as I try I just can't seem to see the thing.

Well I just went and got it for ya.

http://www.haymastersystems.com/

Now for my opinion.
Total waste of money.
Why should you inject when the cow can lick.
More protein in one spot than another. Causes cattle to get unequal amounts.
Just feed in bunk, a lot more controlable.

I bought one of the units late last spring. I had a large amount of hay left over....Curious as to whether it would work....It worked like a charm, I bought one of the smaller units... I havent used it on last years hay that I am feeding now, cause the cows are eating it without it. What was impressive was that those same cows last spring walked away from fresh green spring grass to eat the treated hay.........So maybe the device has a place in my barn.

houstoncutter":1uk0s5pc said:
I bought one of the units late last spring. It worked like a charm, I bought one of the smaller units...

Did you buy the manual unit?

How much time did it take to treat a hard wound bale?

What kinds of balers are you using. We have a Vermeer 605M (the biggest on the market). We haven't had any bad bales. They look weathered from the outside, but the cows just eat that, because they know it is green in the middle. (they are as green as the day they were baled.).

Is this for moldy hay or just low protein hay (as in the grassy hay) (like for horses). Please inform me.

The hay that I used it on was a poor quality hay, that had been stored under tarps. Protein was 7 percent, I dont remember the tdn. I have the hand held unit, and it takes about 4 minutes to treat a bale. You have a hollow rod with a spearhead on it, there are holes in the rod, and material is forced into these bales. I had to inject the bale in about 7 different places to get good coverage....at the end I would drizzle a little on the top of the bale to get the cows attention. They went after the hay very well with this stuff in it. This might not be worth it for some of you folks that store your hay inside and live in a low humidity climate, but if you have a poor quality hay, this stuff can get it done

houstoncutter":1fbmm6iz said:
The hay that I used it on was a poor quality hay, that had been stored under tarps. Protein was 7 percent, I dont remember the tdn. I have the hand held unit, and it takes about 4 minutes to treat a bale. You have a hollow rod with a spearhead on it, there are holes in the rod, and material is forced into these bales. I had to inject the bale in about 7 different places to get good coverage....at the end I would drizzle a little on the top of the bale to get the cows attention. They went after the hay very well with this stuff in it. This might not be worth it for some of you folks that store your hay inside and live in a low humidity climate, but if you have a poor quality hay, this stuff can get it done

Sounds like a waste of money to me. 7 percent isn't bad. I would just put out a tub and let them get only what they need. Or put out nothing if they are in good shape. Trouble with injecting is you don't know how much to put in each time. Could be an overkill and a big waste. As hay gets older during the feeding season it will loose some nutrient value. Trouble is you don't know how much. With a tub they will only take what they need, not what you force them to eat.
That being said, if it works for you go ahead.

The cost of the injection material is about half of what you will pay by the pound compared to tubs. I know cause I have fed many PVM tubs over the years. Your time has to be figured into the equation as well, but you also have to figure that into feeding tubs as well. Its not that big of a deal to put the same amount of protein in the bale, just look at your watch while your injecting it. AS for 7 percent hay being good, Wrong....your cattle even if they are dry will still be losing weight. 8 1/2 to 9 and you dont have to feed any tubs period, if the cows are dry.

This does sound more economical. Add in the price of equipment with depreciation. May still work out. If you plant good forage with it, 7% is not bad. For me Hay is a supplement when they do not get enough live forage. My one tub has lasted me thru the winter and there is still plenty left.

novatech":p6f3xtc5 said:
This does sound more economical. Add in the price of equipment with depreciation. May still work out. If you plant good forage with it, 7% is not bad. For me Hay is a supplement when they do not get enough live forage. My one tub has lasted me thru the winter and there is still plenty left.

If we dont get anymore rain this week, I will have ryegrass to turn the animals on for the first time this winter.....It has been that wet this year here. This stuff is knee high, I am sure the protein is down a lot, but it will beat my poor quality hay....If you have good forage you dont need tubs or hay, that is if you can graze it......How many head are you feeding onthat one tub

Latest posts