Hay wagon build

Help Support CattleToday:

woodswalker

Reaction score
Thanks in advance guys for any help on my latest project...

I'm trying to build a couple of hay wagons out of a bunch of junk.

I bought the rusty old running gears farm fresh... They had been living in the hedgerow with trees growing up through them for the last 20 years....

First I've been scrounging around getting wheels and tires... I think I have wheels and tires for all of them.

My current problem... I went to bolt on a wheel and tire today, and the cast hub fell right apart into 4 pieces...

Anybody have a good source for hubs? Preliminary internet looking turned up a place called Baum Hydraulics... Any other suggestions? I'm going to measure everything really good this afternoon so I can hopefully figure out what size/configuration I need to order...

Thanks fellas!

Robert

Check at some places that move and install mobile homes. The usually pull the axles and all that when they set them up.

I might be thinking smaller stuff but in situations like that I just buy the blank hubs so that I only have to match the bearings up with the axle and then drill for the studs to suit the wheel I have to hand.
Ken

Woods, don't know where you're from but check out the local junk yards. If you have the wheels take one with you and make sure the bolt pattern matches up between wheel and hub. You might even get lucky and find bearings that match the axle as well. Start with the Ford stuff. Most of the trailers use Ford bolt patterns.

Thanks for your help guys! Dun, not many mobile homes in this area, I know when I lived in Florida ever other home was a trailer, but not many around here... Lavaca, I do have a junkyard that I will check with next week.

the hub goes on a 1 3/8 straight shaft, as in the bearing on the front and back are the same diameter... It is a 6 lug hub, but if I can find a hub that fits that shaft, I'll find or make a wheel to fit it...

I checked with Baum Hydraulics on the internet, and they have lots of agricultural hubs, but nothing with a straight 1 3/8 shaft... most of their stuff tapers... big bearing on back, smaller on front by the castle nut...

I hope the junk yard will pan out...

Any other suggestions on where to get a replacement hub????

Anybody know where I can get blank hubs to drill that might fit the bearings as Wbvs58 suggested?

Thanks!

woodswalker":gleb6p3f said:
Any other suggestions on where to get a replacement hub????

Thanks!
In my neck of the woods, random abused running gear comes up constantly on craigslist for the price of 1 new wheel, I would just be patient. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 junkers to make 1 decent one. You can easily spend more on a "project" than the price of just buying one already done. I've got 2 hay wagons and I don't even make hay.....

jltrent":3j2tc5a2 said:
Hay wagons are cheap at auctions.

Sure are I got this for $65.00 at a auction

PART_1456677644001_PART_1456677641046_IMG_20160228_102523945_zpsgcrgczhd.jpg

Latest posts