Hay reserves

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, we did a hay lot count. Looked like we were going to have around 800 bales left. Then, the forecast changed and the cows are eating it fast and have put a pretty good dent in that 800. We keep enough hay to get us through the next year or at least buffer the reserves if there's a drought. But everyone doesnt do that. Just wondering if anyone is getting nervous that they'll have to find hay to get them through this bad stretch of weather?

cowgirl8":3cbcx2yv said:
A few weeks ago, we did a hay lot count. Looked like we were going to have around 800 bales left. Then, the forecast changed and the cows are eating it fast and have put a pretty good dent in that 800. We keep enough hay to get us through the next year or at least buffer the reserves if there's a drought. But everyone doesnt do that. Just wondering if anyone is getting nervous that they'll have to find hay to get them through this bad stretch of weather?
I don't get nervous about much of anything anymore. Learned long ago it doesn't help at all. If there's a drought I'll sell out and take my profit or I'll pay more for hay and cut into my profit a bit. Either way it won't be the end of the world.

I like to have at least half of what I will need for the next winter left over but that isn't going to happen this year. This past hay season 1 st cutting I got about half of what I normally get due to a dry spring then we just had one of the coldest feb on record. I will have enough hay but sure want have much extra.

Finished feeding 2 years ago day, started into year before lasts hay, still have plenty (I think/hope)

I usually just buy it as I need it but there is also a surplus right now and it's fairly cheap. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of making much of my own hay.

I will run out this week. Should have had enough. Luckily I have some good friends with hay. That is a good thing because there is no hay to be found here in the southeast. Terrible year for hay yields. I cut 100 more acres than last year and was 60 rolls short of the year before.

I'm beginning to see ads in the papers around here advertising hay for sale. Mostly round bales and price appears to be reduced somewhat.

I'm working on two year old hay but with the extremely cold weather this past month and the cows closer to calving switched to some second cutting alfalfa / orchardgrass that I put up last year. I am taking the advice from an article I read several months back about the nutritional needs of cows in the last stages of gestation and calories consumed to make heat. I wish I would organized those articles and hang onto them. They had a lot of details I don't seem to remember.

I feel a lot like TB, nervousness is for people that worry.

It's not in my hands anyways, for I know not tomorrow.

Should be close to about 40 bales left, we keep enough to feed and sale the rest. Will change that up next year as I am trying t build a bigger storage barn so I can keep more. Should be nice to go from year to year.
I should have enough to feed out from what I calculated, this cold snap put a damper on my reserve.

TennesseeTuxedo":3s30v15f said:
What's a reasonable shelf life for barn stored net wrapped hay?
Test show average loosing 1/2% protein per year of storage. So good 14% hay should last 25 years before it gets to the protein some here say they are feeding.

kenny thomas":6i39n50d said:
TennesseeTuxedo":6i39n50d said:
Test show average loosing 1/2% protein per year of storage. So good 14% hay should last 25 years before it gets to the protein some here say they are feeding.

Interesting.

Thanks KT, you too Dash5

TennesseeTuxedo":2y0u4cyr said:
kenny thomas":2y0u4cyr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2y0u4cyr said:

Interesting.

Thanks KT, you too Dash5
Years ago before we had irrigation I wanted two years worth of hay in a barn or at least a barn to keep some in and have on hand two years worth. And I mean everyday of two years feeding. I never got a barn or close to that, just thought if I ever did I would be set to take on a big drought.
Now I don't worry as much because between growing oats and bailing them in April (so far we've necer had a all winter drought in history here) and having irrigated milo I'm not as concerned. We'll wrap something up.
Haven't run inventory lately but I think right now we could feed all next year on what's bailed now.
If not we could get close.

It would be quite a year before we had a drought here bad enough to not get 2 cuts off... We irrigate and are gravity fed on a mountain with sole rights.

I like having enough to get through the winter, and having some to sell, with a little left over. This year has been really easy on the haystack and wood pile... We had a cold snap in December and then it's been really warm since mid january.. It's unheard of that I take my heifers out for a walk at this time of year and there's grass to be found!

I've found I need about 50 ton to get me to calving, and 50 additional to get to pasture and bull turnout, that's for about 25 cows.. I did start feeding a little earlier this year but the warm weather has made up for it.

I never want to get caught where we have to even consider paying 100 dollars a bale or sell our cows. I'd rather be on the other end of that sale. Although, we never charged anyone 100...

Latest posts