hay questioon

Help Support CattleToday:

Christina

Reaction score
We are ready to purchase more hay. We usually get great alfalfa hay through a friend of ours when they order it for their horse. This next shipment is supposed to be alfalfa and grass mix (a grass that has protein a little lower than Timothy). Here's the ???... My 20 month old heifer is due in Aug. Should I stick to alfalfa and find another source for it or will the grass mix be okay for a bred heifer that is still growing herself? I also give her dairy 14 grain once a day. Thanks.

Christina":39ghtml6 said:
We are ready to purchase more hay. We usually get great alfalfa hay through a friend of ours when they order it for their horse. This next shipment is supposed to be alfalfa and grass mix (a grass that has protein a little lower than Timothy). Here's the ???... My 20 month old heifer is due in Aug. Should I stick to alfalfa and find another source for it or will the grass mix be okay for a bred heifer that is still growing herself? I also give her dairy 14 grain once a day. Thanks.

Any grass hay with protien levels above 12 % is fine. Grasses offer protien as will as energy. Alfalfa offers protein with little energy. That is why the dairymen here in Wiscosin grow alfalfa to be mixed with the corn for feed in a confinement program. The corn offers energy while the Alfalfa offers the protein, about 24% protein, very hot. Grass has it all and is better all around. Cattle on pasture eat only grass and do better than the confined animals.

I had a Vet tell me once that his business is enhanced by the horse people that feed grain based feed with a little hay. He said that horses are designed to eat grass or hay as the main feed. Commercial horse feed keeps him in business. I suspect cows are designed the same way.

[quote
Any grass hay with protien levels above 12 % is fine. Grasses offer protien as will as energy. Alfalfa offers protein with little energy. That is why the dairymen here in Wiscosin grow alfalfa to be mixed with the corn for feed in a confinement program. The corn offers energy while the Alfalfa offers the protein, about 24% protein, very hot. Grass has it all and is better all around. Cattle on pasture eat only grass and do better than the confined animals.

How do you determine the protien level of the hay?

Hey Arnold,
Nice to see a fellow BC person on line. Anyway, there should be a local gov't ag office in your area. Just take a sample of your hay to him, and he will be able to provide you with an analysis.
Take care. :D