Hay Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckBenham

Reaction score
Boy howdy, was I suprised today when I went to buy a round bale of hay. The prices here around here, inland from Corpus Christi, have jumped just this past week from a high of 30 dollars a round bale to 45 and 50. I found some older bales for 30 still and got 15 of them. One place had some old bales for 30, I told the man I'd think about it, called back in an hour and all of it that he had for that price was gone.
I don't know what we'll do here in south Texas if it doesn't rain sometime this winter.

Well that will teach you rookies to make hay in the good years and carry it over for drought years.

Yep, I priced some hay (on internet) in DFW area. Were asking $70 round bale for bermuda. A supplier we used last year could also get us a semi load of rounds for same price--would come from SE Texas area.

We just FOUND some haygrazer and 2004 bermuda in our area for about $40 a bale. Ordered 60 more bales to add to our existing stock. Probably the last we'll be able to get until spring grass.

Hay situation and 2005 drought sucks royally!

On way back from SW Texas area couple weeks ago from delivering some cattle we had been boarding, I found some horse quality bermuda, small squares in Alpine, TX., for $7.25 bale...got my stock trailer loaded.

Handwriting is on the wall...if you can find some, buy it.

You guys are right, should have planned better.
There is a mixture here, some people are selling buffle grass hay, some coastal burmuda, different grasses. I paid a man 450 for 15 bales today, doesn't look that great, but I have to have something. We have a pasture about 60 miles north that was bailed, and we have to pay 20 a bale to the guy who bailed it. We have 35 or so bales there, but it costs so much for fuel to go and bring it down here. We have 16 head of cattle up there that will need that before the winter is out.
I've got 9 head on one place here that I'm going to take the 15 bales out to tomorrow. I've got another 21 head on another place that still has some grass, but we've got to get hay out there real soon too. I've never seen so many pickup trucks with trailers hauling hay as I saw today.
A few years ago it got like this here, dry, dry, and more dry. I saw cattle looking awfully skinny. I actually saw one laying dead in a patch where everything, and I mean everything, had been eaten. I hate to think of selling out because we have 20 cows right now that are pregnant. We have 4 baby calves right now and about 11 or so young heifer calves that will be old enough to breed next summer. Just trying to build up a little herd and along comes this dry summer.
Ya'll take care now,
bk

Got any prickly pear on your places buck? If so, sounds like it's time to get the torch fired up. :(

And you're sure right Woodrow. It's times like these that make those tall hay sheds that were filled up in good times really pay off.

around here most hay is already $45 to $60 a bale.people arnt turning the hay loose.but they will come feb.alalfa will be the cheapest to feed before the drought is done.the only worry is the pools going dry.scott

Yep, I can't wait for that lady that said my hay gave her horses colic to come crawling back for more. I may trade her out of some horses if she does. ;-)

We have hay stockpiled from last year and we cut extra fields this year and still didn't roll up the number of bales we had last year. We will make it through the winter but we won't have the hay from this year to carry us over to next year like usual. I've seen it in the classifieds for $40 a bale, but I don't know what kind or size.

Latest posts