Hay curing question

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
I was wondering what you specificaly look for in hay that has been cut that lets you know its ready to be bailed. I know some people just grab a handful and roll it around while others use a moisture probe. whats your trick of the trade.

I feel it in the field. Twist it. Also toss a handfull in the air and see how it falls. Also, will bale one bale and then stick my finger into the bale and pull it out. If I feel some evaporation on my finger I give it more time. Also have a moisture tester but don't use it much as I'm normally without batteries.

First I look for a dense spot of cut hay, gather up some and flip it over. Look for hay that has not dried, Pick up some and twist. Should break easily if ready. After it is torn, look at the stem for sign of moisture. Also, dry hay will make a rustling, crackling sound when you handle it.

Bale a few and look at the rollers and belts on the baler to see if they are clean or have hay sticking to them. I also have a moisture tester that I will use to check moisture on a bale if weather is threatening and I don't like the look of the hay. Green square bales will be like a block of cement.

The worst clue you get that the hay is green is when you have to dig a core out of the baler because a belt fipped. :???: :lol2: :mad: :help:

I usually end up looking at the sky. If it's been cut for at least 48 hours and the clouds are rolling in, it's time to get with it.

I always go out in the middle of the field and stick my hand underneath and flip it over, or stick my hand in the swath to see if there's any moisture. I go further into the feild and do the same thing. It's always dryier on the outer-most edges, but going in 4 or 5 swaths is the best way I've learned to test if it's nice and dry. Then it's time to rake it up...and a couple hours later, it gets baled up. Always good to have a bale tester along too and check the bales for moisture content too.

dyates":pkza0ihh said:
I usually end up looking at the sky. If it's been cut for at least 48 hours and the clouds are rolling in, it's time to get with it.

That sounds a lot like what we did last summer, and we ended up with a record for moldy bales this past winter. :(

I have gone to using a moisture meter. It doesn't take very many too wet bales or too dry bales to pay for itself Baling overly dry hay causes alot of leaves and weight to be lost.I found that I always was waiting a little longer to get "dry" hay when I really didn't need to wait that long.
We test windrows before we bale, then we monitor continuously while we bale. There is still a learning curve as to what moisute percentage will make the best hay and how to take accurate measurements, but it is alot better than pushing the limits and making bad hay, which we all do when the rain is coming. Rain damaged hay is still better than moldy hay.

http://www.moisturemeterstore.com/moisture_meter_M100-1986.shtml

RSC

Latest posts