Hay buying

Help Support CattleToday:

thebabybrahma

Reaction score
question about buying hay.. how can buying hay in the midwest for $80 - 120 a ton for 3x3x6 or 4x4x8 bales be a deal? Here in TN, i can buy excellent beef cow hay for $20 bucks a roll, so how do the guys out here sell any hay? seems to be cheaper to buy your hay for herds smaller than 25 cows. what do you guys think

Obviously, hay prices varies with region of the country. When you need hay, you need hay and pay for it whatever you have to to get it. We buy our round bales of coastal bermuda by semi-load and currently are paying $50 a bale delivered (weights around 1000 to 1200# per bale). We don't buy by ton.

With increasing fuel prices and all wouldn't be surprised if hay goes up with this year's crops.

I've never bought it by weight either. It's always been by the bale, makes no difference if it's square bales or round bales. The larger the round bale, the more they charge sometimes. But weight has never been a factor around here.

I find it strange that people will never question that a round bale weighs 1200# when they buy it :shock: These same people want to run there cattle over a scale when they sell instead of letting the buyer guess the weight :p

Even though you buy hay by bale the seller is probably setting price by the average weight of the bale and the quality of the hay.

shorty":1fptnuzr said:
Even though you buy hay by bale the seller is probably setting price by the average weight of the bale and the quality of the hay.

Yup--they're just making the math easier for the little folks!

Hay here is mainly sold by the ton. About $60 -$70 and weigh about 1700#. Occasionally find a farmer with a handful of bales for sale and he may sell by the bale. Those that sell hay for a living do it by the ton.

Here in my area a 1200-1300 lb bale of brome usually runs about $20. I know of a guy who had some 1000 lb he wanted $30 for. They been sitting there for 2 years now rotting away. What a waste.

george

In 2002 in Saskatchewan I was paying more than 100 bucks for a round bale of feed oats. I never complain about the price now.

Gotta' have it - pay the going rate whatever it is. Pretty straight forward.

Grow it if you can.

Bez

I suggest that you weigh a few of those bales that you buy for $20 dollars. Would not be surprised if they weighed closer to 900 to 1000. Many of the producers in my area claim to put up a 1000 lb round bale. Most are 850 to 950 lbs. If your bales are as heavy as they are claimed to be you are getting a bargain, if not then your true cost is approaching that mid-western hay you mentioned.

Howdy,

Selling or buying hay piecemeal from the farm is usually done by the square or roll price.

Selling or buying via auction, you are doing it by weight. Of course your bidding against others, and look, presentation, smell all have something to do with it. After you have done business this way, you still have the option of straight contact with that farmer for further sales. The price might be the same you bid at, or less. Of course this will be full loads of the seller.
*note :) it's funny how some of the horse folks at these auctions will pay huge money for chemically treated alfalfa (high moisture presevative) In January and seeing stuff like it was cut and baled 3 days ago. Small Alfalfa squares, approx 150 sq's in the guys load sold for $210 a ton (Greencastle PA)

Most hay rolls I have scene in the Virginia area have been around the 800# mark. That seems to be the around town average. I have uppped my roll size and my rolls are now averageing 989# per roll. That was taken from a 22 roll delivery I made.

Quality is really a big factor as well, content, smell,cutting, look etc.. will all vary price.

Latest posts