Hay barn buffet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Our out wintered cows have to walk past an open sided alfalfa hay barn to get water. The hay barn perimeter fence has gone from 1 to 2 to 3 strands and winter in not over :( Now I am thinking about putting up woven wire. Is there a better fencing approach to protect a stack of hay from becoming a cow buffet? They have all the hay they want but it is stemy grass - - not alfalfa.

Stocker Steve":gcrdablm said:
Our out wintered cows have to walk past an open sided alfalfa hay barn to get water. The barn perimeter fence has gone from 1 to 2 to 3 strands and winter in not over :( Now I am thinking about putting up woven wire. Is there a better fencing approach to protect a stack of hay from becoming a cow buffet?
I use hot wire and it works

dun":2dg45th9 said:
Stocker Steve":2dg45th9 said:
Our out wintered cows have to walk past an open sided alfalfa hay barn to get water. The barn perimeter fence has gone from 1 to 2 to 3 strands and winter in not over :( Now I am thinking about putting up woven wire. Is there a better fencing approach to protect a stack of hay from becoming a cow buffet?

SS would need a ground wire to go along with it. The snow pack will insulate the hot wire so much right now that it won't ground.

How long is the hay shed? Only open on one side? Some neighbours of mine had the same deal, and bought 3-30' free-standing panels to put in front of the shed, and then move them away when not in use.

Having said that, buy some regular steel panels and line them up along the entrance. (I am assuming the opening is 50' wide and not 200'). :cowboy:

My experience is that a hungry cow will eventually push it's way through darn near anything to get a bite to eat. Especially bales of hay just out of reach, or so I thought.
If an electric fence won't work then the only permanent solution would be doors they can't see through.

Aaron":cbxw21pc said:
dun":cbxw21pc said:
Stocker Steve":cbxw21pc said:

SS would need a ground wire to go alone with it. The snow pack will insulate the hot wire so much right now that it won't ground.
You must have different water up north. I know where I'm from water conducts electricity.

longtimelurker":14sflddv said:
You must have different water up north. I know where I'm from water conducts electricity.
Water does bit ice or snow insulates somewhat. Tested that theory a couple of years ago.

It is a 40x60 shed that is open on 3 sides. I put up barbed wire this week since I had it right there, but need a panel/gate system to get in and out easily.

I Tend to agree that it has to be hot, tube panels well posted or get it where they can't see. A board fence will work till they push boards off, wove wire is just a matter of time till they push it down, welded cattle panels will work for awhile.

I had one barn with this problem and no money at the time. I took old pieces of wove wire and put that up then covered it with an old piece of chicken house curtain then covered that with more old wire(keeps the wind from blowing the curtain). It lasted for over ten years- and I think if I had used new curtain it would have lasted 20. At the time it was a good fix for me it only cost me a couple of hours of work and it got rid of stuff that was laying around. Bonus was it cut down on sun and rain damage.

You could always go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some of the privacy panels that are used in suburban neighborhoods. Sometimes they have some that are not as aesthetically pleasing, and you can get them for cheap. Throw a 4x4 in the to nail to and you've got walls that are about 6' high. Of course the downside is the snow pack, but if you're determined, anything can be accomplished.

Stocker Steve":3mjntwsm said:
Is there a better fencing approach to protect a stack of hay from becoming a cow buffet?

Yes - electric fence with a good, hot fencer.

Latest posts