Have you ever wanted to........

Help Support CattleToday:

calfbuyer

Reaction score
Have you ever wanted to beat your boss to a bloody pulp and quit your job and go do something that you love, but the problem is : you have a wife and two kids, your job carries the insurance for all 3 and jobs like yours are hard to find in a rural area such as this? Thought I might start a new topic and maybe hear from others, maybe it will help me.

In my younger days,if ya didn't like your job you just quit. You could start a new one the next day. Shore aint like that now.

Cal

That's the reason they have to pay you to go there, it's work!

Seriously, I had one job I hated like that for a couple years. Once the boss gave us old uniform shirts (they had changed colors) for coming in UNPAID on Saturday to spruce the place up for big bosses from corporate hq, but then when I wore the shirt to work I got wrote up because it didn't fit the office dress code. Wasn't a t-shirt, it was a polo or golf shirt with a collar. Ended up getting fired from there and it was the best favor they could have done me. A couple months of stressing on unemployment, then the job I have now came my way. More enjoyable and rewarding work, 1000% better class of people to work with, better pay, you name it.

So hang in there!

Working for your self isnt as fun as it sounds . Being a contractor I have a new boss every few days .last year I worked an average of 60 hours a week . Not counting the farm . And I profited 70 k . I could make that working for someone else . The stress gets so bad I almost feel sick when I walk out the door at 6 am every morning . be thankfull you have a job and hang in there . It's gotta get better . At least that's what I keep telling myself .

Well me and my dad are self employed and work together in construction and excavating so i like my boss. we have also went months without work before to and bearly get by by having to sell cows when i don't want to. we can not afford health insurance and my mom has been sick with somthing the doctors can't figure out for over 5 years becuse we can't afford the tests without insurance that we can't hardly get even if we had the money becuse of pre existing conditions so be happy that you have insurance.also i don't know what you do but last week we had to hook into a sewer line and when we cut it it blew 4000 gallons of everything that had been going down a toilet or sink on me and dad we were trying to catch it with a pump truck but it had way more presure than it should have and we could not leave it or do anything about it but wait for it to drain so we stand there for 30 minutes with sewer blowing in our faces and nothing we could do about it so i say all that to say that the next day i have a sore throat sore and swollen toung so bad i am having trouble talking bad cold symtems and very sick to my stomach and every day but sunday since this i have been working on the job in 100 plus degree heat 10 to 12 hours a day went to the doctor he said very serius infection gave me two diffrent antibiotics and am not feeling much better yet. and still after all this in the last few days i am still very happy to have the work and thank god for it. but someday not to far off the cattle will be almost full time and that is what helps me i think. so i don't know exactly how bad you last week has been but i think it would be hard to beat mine. just always remember god will never give you more than you can handle. hope my long boring story helps

calfbuyer":hx0tf8xx said:
Have you ever wanted to beat your boss to a bloody pulp and quit your job and go do something that you love, but the problem is : you have a wife and two kids, your job carries the insurance for all 3 and jobs like yours are hard to find in a rural area such as this? Thought I might start a new topic and maybe hear from others, maybe it will help me.

i do but reality sets in and i realize it could be lots worse.

denvermartinfarms":3h6tdsw7 said:
Well me and my dad are self employed and work together in construction and excavating so i like my boss. we have also went months without work before to and bearly get by by having to sell cows when i don't want to. we can not afford health insurance and my mom has been sick with somthing the doctors can't figure out for over 5 years becuse we can't afford the tests without insurance that we can't hardly get even if we had the money becuse of pre existing conditions so be happy that you have insurance.also i don't know what you do but last week we had to hook into a sewer line and when we cut it it blew 4000 gallons of everything that had been going down a toilet or sink on me and dad we were trying to catch it with a pump truck but it had way more presure than it should have and we could not leave it or do anything about it but wait for it to drain so we stand there for 30 minutes with sewer blowing in our faces and nothing we could do about it so i say all that to say that the next day i have a sore throat sore and swollen toung so bad i am having trouble talking bad cold symtems and very sick to my stomach and every day but sunday since this i have been working on the job in 100 plus degree heat 10 to 12 hours a day went to the doctor he said very serius infection gave me two diffrent antibiotics and am not feeling much better yet. and still after all this in the last few days i am still very happy to have the work and thank god for it. but someday not to far off the cattle will be almost full time and that is what helps me i think. so i don't know exactly how bad you last week has been but i think it would be hard to beat mine. just always remember god will never give you more than you can handle. hope my long boring story helps
You can hold yourself up proud even if you do get a little dirty. Seems like you are a lot more man than the whiners and complainers and the ones expecting the free loader hand outs. :tiphat:
I have heard that all such as that you describe builds character. I always wondered why did character have to be so expensive. :roll:

To be serious I once knew a man I very much admired who took the trouble to try to teach me something. I asked him why does a person have to go through hard times.
He hesitated for a fraction of a second, and he said,"Because it makes a better man of you".
It took me a long time to understand just how right he was.

"Put Him first in everything you do, and all good things will be added unto you."

I've never beat a boss up but I wanted to but I did tell one where he could put his job and walked out the door. Leaving for me was an easy transition because I've never worked less than two jobs. It was rather difficult not to go back after his boss told my boss to triple my salary but I'd had a bait of it.

Now I have more than one business and am looking to start something else but I'm going to have to wait and see the results of the election. What I do know is its a lot easier to find a job when you already have a job. Working puts you out there where you can make contacts and people watch and judge you and your work ethic. This is how I normally hire people. I'll do a lot of homework on them and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting before they are hired. I'm not looking for a hard worker but a smart worker. While its nice to love your what you do at the end of the day its still a job. I don't love any of my jobs but I do love to work and see things get accomplished and plans come together.

i've never had that problem and i'm sure glad i haven't. i worked for one employer for 25 years, retired at 55 and now make more money in retirement. i liked the people i worked with and the bosses i worked for. i never dreaded going to work and liked what i did at work. always had all the overtime i wanted and 10 holidays per year, sometimes felt like i should have been paying them. the job security was legendary. i sincerely wish everyone could have the same experience.........i figure i did something real good in a past life.

calfbuyer":23u5on9s said:

Life is way to short to feel like that everyday. Sometimes things just aren't a good fit. Nobody's fault in particular, but the circumstances or personalities just don't work together. In that instance, 99% of the time you will find that if you move on you can find something that you can be happy with- with the correct attitude. I moved once due to family reasons and never realized how stressful work was until I left it and how much happier I could be until I was gone. It was a pretty big wake up.

In many instances, it may just be your attitude. As someone mentioned earlier, you should be thankful in this economy to have a job. If you start actively looking for a job and comparing what you have with what is out there, you may start to realize that the other side of the fence isn't any greener. I thought I wanted to change careers a few years back and go back to school. Ended up with a baby on the way that halted my plans. Glad it happened that way, because I came to realize I do enjoy what I'm doing. I just needed an attitude change. A little humility can sure help to see things more clearly. I thank God for my job and the gifts he gave me to do it. It sure made a difference in how I look at it.

If I can give you any advice, it would be this: Always try to leave on good terms. You never know when you might cross paths again.

Just to one up Jogee, I have been let go from a job by a less than stellar decision by a higher up twice (two different times from two different jobs) and was offered my job back with increased pay. Can sure give you confidence when interviewing.

I agree with CF, blowing up bridges is never a good thing. At the moment its exilerating but after the smoke settles more times than not its regretted.

Thank you all for the input. I realize that I am fortunate for what I have. I am an installer/repairman for a rural Texas Telephone Cooperative. Everything has been pretty good for the last 6 years or so that I have been employed here. The problem has came in the last 8 months or so. The guy that I worked with side by side for years has now moved up to supervisor and has turned a 180. I thought it would be great but the higher ups have gotten his ear and I don't like what he has turned into. I probably have a bigger problem with him than others because I knew him then and I see him now and everything he says and does comes of hypocritical to me. I know that he is just doing his job and he is telling me what he is being told but it still kinda pizzes me off.

calfbuyer":1e3d7gzq said:
insert kill here..and im in

denvermartinfarms":3s56ey19 said:

I swear on a stack of bibles, I will never complain again.....NEVER

My wife and I are self employed have been for many years, JScattle nailed it on the head, we have many bosses we have to please. On top of who he mentioned and the stress of business, throw in answering to the Feds, State and County, City, they all are the "all knowing and wise" and will enforce their bright ideas ..... For the good of the people :bs: . Two years ago the city contracted an outfit to run camera line through every house and business in the city a few thousand lines. Looking for bad lines going from the building to the main line. Over 80% of the lines came back as bad. They wanted, demanded, we pay thousands of $ to replace the lines. You could go into the city and review the video but the new sewer lines had to be in by X date. Luckily a long time contractor in the area started reviewing the the video for contracted jobs and saw a problem. The City had put a 20 something young lady fresh out of school in charge of review and ticketing sewer lines. All the cracks she was seeing and determining the lines were bad were simply the joints where two sewer pipes came together. I'm sure the contractor received thousands more than just my heart felt thank you. Yes, sometimes I would like to beat my boss bloody.

Alan

calfbuyer":m06l3rfb said:

August 1985, Mobile Alabama. Safety inspector in my face. He was an ex drill sarge and got his kicks from getting in people's faces. I pushed back twice. The third time I took him out. Knocked him out cold. We both got fired and the plant super was telling me to show up in the a.m. so that he could bring me back in. I headed back to TX and let them figure out how to fix that plant.

The sad thing is, I have never regretted my actions. I should have some sort of remorse. That was not the right thing to do.

backhoeboogie":1suz8qrr said:
calfbuyer":1suz8qrr said:

August 1985, Mobile Alabama. Safety inspector in my face. He was an ex drill sarge and got his kicks from getting in people's faces. I pushed back twice. The third time I took him out. Knocked him out cold. We both got fired and the plant super was telling me to show up in the a.m. so that he could bring me back in. I headed back to TX and let them figure out how to fix that plant.

The sad thing is, I have never regretted my actions. I should have some sort of remorse.
Why?

That was not the right thing to do.
Why Not?
[/
quote]

Latest posts