Have Yall Seen This

Help Support CattleToday:

While reading the book, "1491". (History of North and South America before Columbus.) I learned that corn was a genetically modified plant perpetuated by the natives in this hemisphere. There has never been a wild "Corn" plant that science can find.

The ones that grew and developed corn had developed the perfect human diet which included corn, beans, squash, and some type of wild (usually) meat.

After Columbus, explorers took corn seed to Europe and it became very popular as a staple item. Wasn't but a few years of overindulgence of corn caused all sorts of health problems in the Europeans that ate corn almost exclusively.

Too many carbohydrates are bad for anyone. Just look at the diabetes problem.

If you get a chance, watch the movie. Check with PBS. Interesting subject. I don't think the natives could ever imagine what corn would be used for today.

Mike. I have diabetes and am told to have Carbs with every meal. ie brown bread, or brown rice or potato or brown pasta, are you saying this information from the hospital is wrong. As carbs are slow releasing sugars which supposed to be good for diabetics.(so I have been told anyway).

Hippie Rancher":12c3vyyx said:

From your link:

"Corn is a completely domesticated plant. The kernels (seeds) adhere tightly to the cob and husks surround the ear. These drastic mutations prevent corn from propagating itself. And hybrid varieties of corn must be backcrossed with earlier types to maintain their vigor. Without the intervention of humans, corn would be extinct."

Pretty much what I meant.......................... There is no wild corn in it's "present state".

Latest posts