Hauling Servies

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer":1pr9cren said:
Last post has a good idea - make sure you have a spare tire ! I am the world's worst at not carrying a spare. Haven't lost a tire for years but I know that I'm about due for one!

Had one last week. A good tire blew. When I pulled the spare off of the rack it was about half flat. Luckily I had three air tanks, but only needed one.

Those old propane tanks that can't be refilled make excellent air tanks. You can put 175 psig in them and the valves shut tight.

Hire someone with experience. I was hauling yesterday with good tires, blew one ($145) diesel yesterday $3.19/gal ($80) neighbor's help($75) pizza and pop for the help, didn't expect neighbor to bring kids along ($30). just the added costs not including wear and tear. I forgot to mention all the people that don't know you can stop on dime loaded!!! I should have hired a semi.

Geez! If your going to be in the cattle business your going to have to learn to do more on your own or all your profits will fly right out the window. It SHOULD be a piece of cake to haul 3 heifers of any size, barring their not 9 mts bred, 6 hrs. Your truck will handle pulling them no problem - you are going to need ready access to a trailer if you have cows, espicially heifers. Think about it, what happens if one of them has a problem calving or what ever, you need to be able to take her to the vet right then - not when someone can fit you in their schedule to haul her for you. Look in your local classifieds or americanclassifieds.com and find you a decent used bumper pull trailer (I would never have a bumper pull but for a F150 it would probably be better then a gooseneck) You could get away with a smaller trailer but a 16' is a good all around size. Depending on the width you find you should be able to haul 6 grown cows easily in a 16' ft - now stopping 6 cows and the trailer is a different story. Try to get a trailer with brakes and put in a brake box in your truck. Make sure to calibrate your box BEFORE you put in any animals. The trailer should be able to stop the truck, then calibrate it again when you load it.