Hauling Servies

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I need three bred heifers picked up (about 6 hours from my place) and delivered. My question is, is their any quality hauling services that you would recommend or should I try to find a trailer and pick them up myself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't know about your area, however,

You can probably figure anywhere between $1.50 and $3.50 a one-way loaded mile for a hauler to charge. You can run the figures. Probably be cheaper to do it yourself... Also, if DIY, can better predict when job would be done... ;-)

Take your time and on that long of a trip some hay/water would be nice, escpecially if you would run into a traffic tie up and it's 100 degrees and your six hour trip turns into a ten hour trip. I would hire it done and make sure they have load insurance.

Try checking with your local sale barn. They will probably know some people who haul for hire. You may be able to catch someone on a return trip and get it done pretty reasonable.

jnowack":32wgqrp4 said:
Try checking with your local sale barn. They will probably know some people who haul for hire. You may be able to catch someone on a return trip and get it done pretty reasonable.

What jnowack said. The sale barns usually have some pretty good kids looking to make a nickel or two. Most of them have been around cattle all their lives.

I think if it were me i would try and make my return trip with the heifers during the night. It might be a little cooler and easier on the heifers.

Depends.......
If I was short on money I'd figure out how to do it myself.
If I was short on time I'd hire it done.

But......If I didn't have a decent rig
I'd hire it done--- money short or not.

Another difference would be you were there to see the condition of what you were getting-- and be able to decline-- if you went.
Send someone and they are yours no matter what they look like- or at the very least yours to haul back :) .

I'd also call the local Stockyard to locate a decent hauler.

I personally would skip the hay and water - 6 hours is not that long of a trip. Unless you have some kind of a specialized waterer, the water is simply going to slosh all over making the floor slicker than it will already be due to urine and manure, and the hay feeders are just one more thing for them to bump into, trip over, or get tangled up in - keep it simple and safe for the animals. If you decide to haul them yourself, make sure they are watered before you leave, and don't make any unnecessary stops on the way home. We've hauled them for 15 hours with no hay/water and they handled it just fine.

msscamp":1xnk0e1s said:
I personally would skip the hay and water - 6 hours is not that long of a trip. Unless you have some kind of a specialized waterer, the water is simply going to slosh all over making the floor slicker than it will already be due to urine and manure, and the hay feeders are just one more thing for them to bump into, trip over, or get tangled up in - keep it simple and safe for the animals. If you decide to haul them yourself, make sure they are watered before you leave, and don't make any unnecessary stops on the way home. We've hauled them for 15 hours with no hay/water and they handled it just fine.

Some good advice! Cattle probably won't drink during trip unless it's a LONG trip (over 18 hours) and you down load them to a good pen (vets, arena, etc.) to give several hours of rest. Also, if you haul yourself, make sure you plan your trip to avoid heavy traffic/construction areas that could slow down or stop you for a while. As long as trailer is moving, air circulation is happening to keep them from overheating. Also, start and stop SLOWLY so you don't slam them around in trailer...also careful on turns... Never haul livestock unless you have a GOOD, maintained, reliable trailer with good tires.

What jnowack said. The sale barns usually have some pretty good kids looking to make a nickel or two. Most of them have been around cattle all their lives.[/quote
]
Like Me :lol:

Thanks for all the great advice. I called the local coop and no go on the rental trailer. I also called the local stock yards and they didn't know of anyone that would trailer only three cows or rent me a trailer.

How big a trailer do I need for 3 heifers? I have a 1/2 ton V8.

jhambley":3r5a09tf said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I called the local coop and no go on the rental trailer. I also called the local stock yards and they didn't know of anyone that would trailer only three cows or rent me a trailer.

The truck is plenty big to pull a small trailer. You problem may be stopping. I am guessing you do not have trailer brake equipped truck. So I'd look for a trailer in the 12 to 16 foot long proximity. The smaller the better without brakes. Trailers are generally 6 foot wide or so. You can get three heifers in a 12 foot and it would be easier to stop. 14 foot would probably be perfect.

jhambley":48rvzxlu said:

For a 6 hour trip, I would think a 16-18' would work very well. You could probably get by with a shorter one, but it will crowd the heifers and that will just add stress.

Hey msscamp - you have done this before!

Yup - small trailer - bed it down and go.

I haul lots and your advice is spot on.

jhambley:

Heifers is a big span - 500 pounders or 1000 pounders?

Three 1000 pounder will fit very nicely into a 14 - 16 footer. Did it the other day. In fact having them a bit closer helps in event of a sharp trun or stop. There is a bit of support when they lean up on each other.

Just remember - do not stop for any length of time unless you can park in a shaded area. If it is night - best time IMO - no prob but during the day it can get pretty warm in a trailer.

Hey, worst case scenario - do not bite me - you are going to need a trailer anyways - go out and buy one that will pull behind that 1/2 ton. Every person who has livestock needs a trailer eventually - and you will be truly surprized at how often you use it for things other than animals.

Good luck on your new animals.

Bez?

Go get a 12 footer put a piece of stock panel in the floor for traction and bring them cattle home. I agree with an earlier post - haul late evening or at night if possible, be a lot easier on them and you. Getting a trailer depends on your area - friends, neighbors, etc. Seems like everybody around here has a trailer setting around - if I borrowed one - I'd get it a day or two before I needed it just so you could get used to how your truck handles it. Half ton pick up w/ V8 - no problem - I've seen 'em coming in to the slaughter plant behind SUVs / Mini pickups and minivans - new age farmers I guess maybe not soccer moms but slaughter moms !!!

I do this all of the time, you keep a barrell of water and strap a trough in reasonably in the trailer when you make a stop fill it up. They will drink it and I have seen too many short trips turn into long ones, tires can blow even though you have a spare it can be interesting. Just some thought but, like I said before, I would hire it done. I've had cam sensors and other various items go out on these "computerized" trucks and it can be a real pain.

Last post has a good idea - make sure you have a spare tire ! I am the world's worst at not carrying a spare. Haven't lost a tire for years but I know that I'm about due for one!

Latest posts