Hauling cattle to another state (health papers)

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
A man from Ky. Is buying my Herefords. Anyway, the guy that's hauling them for him said he needs health papers or they can quarantine them. I've shipped cattle across state lines and never had health papers and never had problems. I bought these from Indiana and had no problems shipping them.

tncattle said:
A man from Ky. Is buying my Herefords. Anyway, the guy that's hauling them for him said he needs health papers or they can quarantine them. I've shipped cattle across state lines and never had health papers and never had problems. I bought these from Indiana and had no problems shipping them.

Have your vet check them out before you load them. That's what I had done on a dozen Red Angus heifers I bought in Bell Buckle and had shipped to KY.

Congrats on getting them sold!

tncattle said:

You need a State Certification from a vet. Your vet knows what is needed to cross state lines.

Here are the general criteria for a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), often called health papers:

When a CVI is required, it must accompany each shipment and list the following information: 

Consignor and location from which the animals have been moved;
Name and address of the owner at the time of movement;
Consignee and destination of the animals;
Number of animals covered by the certificate;
Purpose for which the animals are to be moved;
Individual official identification of each test-eligible animal;
Dates and results of the official tests;
Age;
Official calfhood vaccination (OCV) status of each animal (OCV tattoo); and If required, a permit number issued by the State of destination.

https://www.avma.org/public/petcare/cvi/pages/default.aspx

If they are breeding animals they also will need RFID tags.
Anyone can truck cattle from state to state without a CVI - but I wouldn't want to get caught. If these cattle have any state ID on them and the new owner ever gets health papers for them - a red flag will go up & they will be contacting you.
Noone is allowed to move cattle across state lines without CVI - other than feeder cattle. Not even for temporary - like for a show.
I have CVI for NY, but when I go to another state, I have to get another one and make sure we take care of any additional testing that state requires. Many states have different requirements.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
If they are breeding animals they also will need RFID tags.

Not yet. Bang's tags and silver tags with the US shield on them are still acceptable for interstate travel. I think the RFID requirement doesn't officially start until 2021.

BR has it right, talk with your vet they will know what is needed. I would not want to go across the state lines without it l. You may not have had any past issues but that doesn't mean that it won't happen. Around 25 years ago we were hauling a couple cows within KY from here in Clark county to the Central KY Angus Sale Pavillion in Boyle County. Around 20 some miles from home on the highway in Lexington an overzealous Barney pulled us over and wasn't quite sure what he wanted to see but wanted tangible proof that they were our cattle. Thankfully we had our health papers which that sale required in case they went to an out of state buyer. The officer had no idea what those papers were and admitted that but it finally suited him. His excuse for stopping us was that he knew Lexington stockyards did not have a sale that day and he didn't know why we would be moving cattle. He thought they may have been stolen. Very strange event and a very unnerving one as everyone transports cattle from place to place at times with no paperwork as long as it's in state.

The Dept of Ag in each state also provides info on the requirements for moving cattle within as well as inter state. FYI In the west, hauling cattle anywhere (down to road or across the state) within a respective state's boundaries is illegal sans an official brand inspection prior to movement. May seem like a PITA but its legal proof of ownership and a deterrent to thieves.
The officer had no idea what those papers were and admitted that but it finally suited him. His excuse for stopping us was that he knew Lexington stockyards did not have a sale that day and he didn't know why we would be moving cattle. He thought they may have been stolen.
My point exactly.

Edited to add...I've utilized a professional & highly respected bull hauler for a number of years. When I asked him how often he got pulled over and his paper work perused, he replied never but he darned sure wasn't about to hit the road without the t's crossed and i's dotted. YMMV

I'm currently under quarantine. Don't assume the vet knows what he's doing. Paperwork was filled out wrong, now I get to pay another vet to come out and run them down the alley to write down calf hood numbers.

I will say, "They" have been pretty darn reasonable on the time frame. This happened February 24, I'll have it fixed next monday.

76 Bar said:
Don't assume the vet knows what he's doing.
Excellent point. Personally having a grasp of the associated regulations and insuring the paperwork is correct & valid saves a lot of grief.
A good way is to use a sale yard vet. They should have regular experience with cattle that are being shipped across state lines.