Hauling question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ours ran from 550 to 725 and we had 11 head in with a little bit of room to maybe pack in one more.

Thanks. That gives me some idea. I've got 20 calves to get to the barn and was contemplating going ahead and buying a trailer.

Unless you're going to haul frequently, a trailer is another expense with very little benefit unless you can;t get someone reliable around you to haul for you. Anohter option is to orrow/rent a trailer, let someone else worry about maintenance, license, taxes and general upkeep.

dun is right on... I consider trailers to be more of a want, unless you are going to be hauling quite frequently. But in a 16' trailer, you should be able to get around 10-12 500 lb'rs in there.

My little old trailer earns its keep hauling animals to the vet to save a trip charge, taking a cull cow or two to the sale barn or taking one to the locker. If I have a load or a long way to haul, I hire it done. I can't justify the cost of a big enough or new enough trailer to do that stuff.

I posted a similar question some months back and the answer I found is 14. I think ours averaged around 535 and it was good tight load - no moving around/sliding/falling, etc. Did have a little trouble getting the door latched but no problems otherwise!

ligons":axh087gf said:
How many 500 lb calves can I fit in a standard 16ft stock trailer?
So many that it can cause a tire to blow out, causing the trailer to whip, causing the trailer to role over on the hiway.
Soomtimes experiance is a bad way to learn. :oops:
Be careful.

Most 16 foot trailers only have 3500# axles so if you are watching the overall gross weight that will limit you also. Also need to look at what you are towing with on it's ability to handle the load. Out 16' x 6'6" trailer will hold 10 or 12 500- 550# calves easily and still be within the gross weight rating of the trailer and it has 5200# axles.

novatech":2298853d said:
So many that it can cause a tire to blow out, causing the trailer to whip, causing the trailer to role over on the hiway.
Soomtimes experiance is a bad way to learn. :oops:
Be careful.

Experience is a dang fine way to learn, but it can be expensive.

I agree with Dun unles you are going to haul cattle a trailer is a big expense and Im sure a local neighbor wouldnt mind loading up and takign them down for a little bit of cash. I know we do that. people pay a bit to cover them and we load thema nd haul them down. It works out well cause we are usually goign to the sale barn anyways incase there are any good deals and need the trailer there. So I'd ask around. A good neighbor is worth their weight in gold.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me about the good neighbor deal is he get's stuck with the up keep and expense of the trailer. I don't like feeling like a mooch. My neighbor has a pasture areator, and a seed spreader, but doesn't have a trailer. He uses mine and I use his areator and spreader. That way it balances out. Before buying a trailer try sharing equipment one of you may be lacking and both of you will benifit.

jfont":31e7bboc said:
The only thing that doesn't sit well with me about the good neighbor deal is he get's stuck with the up keep and expense of the trailer. I don't like feeling like a mooch. My neighbor has a pasture areator, and a seed spreader, but doesn't have a trailer. He uses mine and I use his areator and spreader. That way it balances out. Before buying a trailer try sharing equipment one of you may be lacking and both of you will benifit.

Excellent idea. I have a 14' trailer that the neighbor borrows, he has a 28' that I borrow. We jointly own a tedder and wheel rake. Works out well for us. But besides being just neighbors we're also very good friends

I also suggest calling the sale barn and they should have several people that haul. And, you may find it is cheaper than you could have hauled them yourself with your own trailer. My dad sold a pot load of calves last year, and my brother had the same amount and chose to haul them himself (took 3 loads). When we figured the fuel cost, hiring the trucker was measurably cheaper and quicker.

I'm afraid I don't have much to add to this thread, but my current trailor and other trailors I have owned have been clearly marked by a plate somewhere on the trailor the maximum weight capacity of the trailor.

Latest posts