Hauling Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Case IH

Reaction score
Ive thought about doing this for a while but thought I would get some opinions first? I have thought about maybe doing some custom hauling or trying to haul cattle for people and make some money? I thought about maybe putting up an ad at the local Tractor Supply or feed store, any thoughts or suggestions?

Case IH":3oqq54ku said:
Ive thought about doing this for a while but thought I would get some opinions first? I have thought about maybe doing some custom hauling or trying to haul cattle for people and make some money? I thought about maybe putting up an ad at the local Tractor Supply or feed store, any thoughts or suggestions?

Are you talking short haul or long haul? What size trailer do you have? Do you have a CDL?

I have two suggestions:

1. Get to know your local salebarn operators. They will be one of your best sources for business.

2. And to echo what Mahoney said, don't even back up to the chute the first time without Hartford cargo insurance.

I say go for it as long as you alreddy have the truck & trailer but I would not go out and buy them if you don't. I pull for some folks around here but I work at the local sales barn part time so Iam going that way anyhow I get calls from folks with just 1 or 2 head and just don't want to make the trip to the barn. but always be fair with your hual rate and folks will tell others about you. ;-)

Case IH":3lfhgplo said:
I thought about a set price within a 20 mile radius then so much per mile after that. What do you guys think?

I think I would call around to some trucking companies and how much they charge so I didn't price myself out of the business. Maybe your area is different than ours, but I don't see how you can compete with the big boys and still make a profit with diesel prices, mileage, time, maintenance, etc. But, I could be wrong....won't be the first time, sure won't be the last.

Case IH":2yyf2ld9 said:
I thought about a set price within a 20 mile radius then so much per mile after that. What do you guys think?
I'd be thinking a little bigger radius, just knowing how far I travel to some sale barns. Msscamp has hit the nail on the head.

I think the 20 mile radius would be enough, there are lots of farms within 20 miles of me. As far as competing with the big haulers using tractor trailors and big rigs, Im not looking for somthing to get rich on just a little extra money on the side to help pay the bills, but then again who needs extra money we all get rich off selling cows to begin with right?

Case IH,
At my real work we ship 10-20 truckloads of plastic out per day. All of the carriers have rates to different destinations, but also charge us a fuel surcharge. This fuel surcharge fluctuates with the price of fuel. Every Monday the Department of Energy puts out an average diesel price (by regions, and the whole country) So the final bill for freight is the base rate plus fuel (which is about 20% right now)

Down here there are people who haul to the sale every week. They have agreements with the different sale barns. They will pull up with BIG stock trailers, load up what you have and bring em to the sale for you. Several months ago they brought some calves of mine (4) from my dad's place to the stockyard (50 miles), and the stockyard mailed me the check. Cost me $30

Don't set a price up front. Some will have nice catch pens and loadouts and some will expect you to load them out of a 40 acre pasture with no pens. They will say just run em down the fence line into your trailer. The same trailer you now have buried in the mud along with your truck.

Susie David":2anxoeod said:
You would probably need a business license, CDL and definately insurance...lots of it.

CDL pretty much depends on the total weight of the truck and trailer (at least up here). With the trailer size he's talking, probably not. Business license and insurance, absolutely! If you do need a CDL for your area, then you are talking log books, recording mileage, fuel taxes and reports, IFTA stickers and paperwork, DOT numbers, permits to haul through any state other than yours, etc.

I know in North Carolina must cattlemen, farmers, etc. run farm licence tags. I don't know if you do this in all states or not. However with a farm tag it is illegal to haul cargo for someone else and you can be fined pretty big. I'm not saying that i won't go get some nieghbor calves to take to the sale with mine, but i am saying thats your not supposed to. (do as I say, not as I do) ;-) If you are thinking about making it publicly known, you may have to look into a commercial tag. A farm tag is only good to haul your own products to and from market( thats from the dmv book)

other than that and the insurance thing, I don't see why you couldn't make a little side cash doing it.

I agree with Bama about the different situations you'll encounter. Last year my husband went over to collect some calves (payment for hay) and the guy didn't even have them penned. This person had no handling system, no decent fences and no good way to get them on the trailer. After three hours of fighting they ended up with three on the trailer. I was just disgusted but my husband said that he's talked to different guys around here who haul cattle and they run into that kind of situation quite frequently.
Something to keep in mind.

Latest posts