Hauling Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":1ltbojco said:
I have two suggestions:

1. Get to know your local salebarn operators. They will be one of your best sources for business.

2. And to echo what Mahoney said, don't even back up to the chute the first time without Hartford cargo insurance.
I got one suggestion dont do it . you talking about a real headache i did a little while back in the 80's, after having been pulled out with bull dozers and one time nearly losing a truck trailer and and load in a river some cattlemen working pens if avalible are impossible to get too i got a whole he!! of alot more reasons but ill stop here

There are a few people that do it in my area. Some of them just wait at the sale barn and haul smaller loads to local farms. There are also a couple people that make daily trips to the larger barns hauling everything (sheep, hogs, cattle, goats). The guy we usually get charges by weight, his charge is taken right out of the check we get from the salebarn. He usually has a good idea of what the market is going to do and will tell us to hold them another week or two, or give specific days where the slaughter plants aren't backed up.

I'm sure there are a lot of headaches, but that is how he makes a living. I think he has a 24 foot trailer, and makes a run everyday. Also he backloads feeders and cows back up sometimes.

I haul cattle for a living in a big truck- but have been considering the same thing you are contemplating. I think that charging a base rate for 20 miles is fair-but you will want to be flexible and take into consideration some of the things the others have mentioned. You need to figure how much your time is worth, your fuel mileage, and factor in long term expenses (wear and tear) on your equipment, plus the insurance and then see how it compares to what other trucking companies would charge. At least make it worth your while. Good luck-

my cattle hauler charges $3.50 a loaded mile.an h has hauled out of bobwire corrals.falling down corrals.kad the truck an 32ft gooseneck buried getting cattle.an its all the same price.if you go though adds or sale barns an you turn loads down itll ruin you.b/c people will put the word out on you.an say oh dont call him.if your pens are bad or he cant load them w/o trouble he wont haul them.

that all might be true bigbull, but if it was my rig and my time, the critters to be hauled best be penned up and ready to load as soon as I get there. also caseih, you could haul hay for some of the smaller operations and who knows what else, my experience has been that when people know about ya and trust ya you will be busier than you want to be

Thanks for the replys guys I will put into consideration on what you all said to do and give it a shot, will let you know how it turns out. :cboy:

I have been hauling horses locally for a little over a year. I charge $150.00 for anything under 75 miles, then $2.00 per loaded mile. Recently a coworker of mine asked me to haul about 20 head of young cattle for him to his farm. We agreed on a price, and its close to what I charge for hauling horses. I also have every one I haul for sign a waiver freeing me from any type of law suit unless they can prove absolute negligence on my part. I have never had any problems getting people to sign this waiver. I would be happy to e-mail you a copy of it if you will send me your e-mail address.

Latest posts