haul or hold them?

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
Looks like I kept my steers too long. Not that prices are bad, but they are lower than a couple weeks ago. They are already weaned about 550-650lbs. Do I haul them next week or hold on to them for a while. I have plenty of fescue left. On fescue and a protien supplement they stand the chance of doing pretty good for a couple more months here. What are ya'll doing in this situation. You think prices will jump back up late Dec. or Jan.?

triple'S'":1mdnioio said:
You think prices will jump back up late Dec. or Jan.?

Don't know about December, but I look for everything to jump in the spring. I could be dead wrong but locally, many culled deep and all the way to selling out completely in the drastic '05 drought. '06 was bad too. This leads me to think the supply chain will be a bit short next spring. Especially if it rains.

It is all pure speculation on my part but the old supply and demand principal is going to kick in at some point. Can you afford to hold them until late Feb early March? If I were you and I could hold out until then, I believe I would.

Tricky. I have listened to a couple of different opinions on this. This time of year being historically lower prices would prompt one to sell. I hear tell of so many ethanol plants going online that corn is going to go up causing the price to go up on cattle. If you can feed them I would. Consider keeping them and going to a feed yard and killing them.

Triple S, I sold all the calves that I could a month ago, because traditionally, October is a poor time to sell calves because of so much sickness. I will hold the rest of the calves until February. Calves were up 3-5 dollars this week and I believe they will regain some ground that was caused by sickness. Where they will stop, will depend on the corn price. Corn has been going back down, but that will determine the price but I am betting the prices will be better after the first of the year. Good luck

thanks for ya'lls opinions. I'll put a pencil to it and see what its going to cost me to take them on into the winter.

I buy in the fall and sell in the spring . Prices seem better in the spring when the sale isn,t flooded with cattle.

Up here the lowest price of the year is the sale before Christmas and prices start rising slowly after the first of the year.
How popular are the big boys in the spring when folks are wanting feeder calves to put on spring pasture...feeders will sell for 125-150 and the 10 wts will be lucky to bring 80-85.
Do the math and see if you want to chance playing the weight margin in the spring.
40% of the sale animals up here are over 650# right now and are selling for 100-104.
Just my two bits worth. DMc

triple'S'":3e37nijk said:
Looks like I kept my steers too long. Not that prices are bad, but they are lower than a couple weeks ago. They are already weaned about 550-650lbs. Do I haul them next week or hold on to them for a while. I have plenty of fescue left. On fescue and a protien supplement they stand the chance of doing pretty good for a couple more months here. What are ya'll doing in this situation. You think prices will jump back up late Dec. or Jan.?

Geographically, we're pretty close and to tell you my two cents worth, I really believe the rebound will be in the 2nd week of November. The Va. markets are flooded with feeders and springers and we all know that transportation is the biggest issue on the east coast - once this passes, I think we'll see some gains. I don't think you'll see early Sept. prices but I believe they will improve from current levels.

Latest posts