Has social media changed how we think?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I know that most would immediately answer, "yes," without hesitation, but here is what i mean.

I was recently talking with some people who were upset that people would post information concerning accidents on facebook and discuss in detail, sometimes before the family even knew about it. They wondered why people have no respect for people's feelings anymore.

Others argued that people have always had these desires: people have always had the desire to gossip and be the first to distribute information, and social media just gives them a better outlet than ever before. They said if our grandparent's had social media, they would have done the same thing.

Personally, I think technology is great for information we need. In a matter of moments, we can contact someone to rescue us when our car breaks down, get instant weather, driving directions, contact someone from the middle of nowhere, and facebook can keep us in contact with those relatives and friends who live far away who once would have only gotten an occasional letter, call, or perhaps nothing at all. I remember when i first got a cell phone. I felt like I was riding with a bodyguard when I was out driving. I knew if I broke down, I had a phone.

But haven't people developed a few habits that weren't necessarily lurking within us hoping for an outlet. For example, I don't recall having the desire to take a thousand pictures of a sleeping cat and send it to 500 people, or take a picture of my half-eaten dessert and mail it out with the caption of, "yummy." I don't think my grandparents would have done that either. And what about posting every thought we have for all the world to see? Wasn't there a time when people kept journals and diaries filled with "private comments?" I think there was a time when people didn't want others to know every thought they had.

I see a lot of things posted on social media that causes my first reaction to be, "who cares?" I don't care that your husband rubbed your feet after work, or you saw a squirrel in a tree, or you are relaxing on Sunday evening, or you like chocolate pie, but I see a lot of those things. And why do people get on facebook and publicly thank people for things? Wouldn't than mean more if it were done in person?

I check facebook about once a month, or if my daughter calls and says she sent me a picture. I was excited about it years ago when it was new and I first signed up, but after seeing what people do on there, I got bored quickly.

I often wonder what some have to communicate about so much. I see people at work who immediately get on their phone when they get in their car to leave. One lady walks in every morning casually talking on her phone. There are also new expectations for contacting people; everyone is expected to be available during all waking hours, and if you are not, people are stunned.

Whew. I guess I had better shut up now! :lol:

" I remember when i first got a cell phone. I felt like I was riding with a bodyguard when I was out driving."

When I was asked to get a cell phone for work, I felt like I didn't need a leash, and refused to take one.

But, it you didn't have/like social media we wouldn't be on this forum, would we?

D2Cat":1onz5jzu said:
But, it you didn't have/like social media we wouldn't be on this forum, would we?

I didn't say we shouldn't have it, and i listed positives, but haven't some people developed some weird habits.

herofan":2pcnh8wm said:
D2Cat":2pcnh8wm said:

I didn't say we shouldn't have it, and i listed positives, but haven't some people developed some weird habits.

They probably had the issues before, but social media just gave them a new outlet.

The single greatest feature of facebook is the ability to unfollow somebody's posts. I look at it almost daily but it's for friends and family's posts or items for sale in different groups that I am a member of.

I don't have facebook, but I creep on my wife's a little bit. I'm mostly struck, by the false image, that people portray of themselves. People portray themselves as fun loving, great parents, devout Christians. You can paint your life as anything you'd like.

Bigfoot":2yr2yitt said:
I don't have facebook, but I creep on my wife's a little bit. I'm mostly struck, by the false image, that people portray of themselves. People portray themselves as fun loving, great parents, devout Christians. You can paint your life as anything you'd like.

That's another thing that turns me off too. On facebook, everybody's life is bliss. Everybody has the greatest marriage on earth, greatest kids, everything is so great.

herofan":2v64k2kq said:
Bigfoot":2v64k2kq said:

That's another thing that turns me off too. On facebook, everybody's life is bliss. Everybody has the greatest marriage on earth, greatest kids, everything is so great.
Get rid of it and enjoy reality. I don't have facebook or twitter and don't figure I miss anything. My kids can still send me emails or messages with new pictures attached, news and updates. I really don't care what the other people in the world are up to.

It's hard not have it to some degree. Some information is only disseminated through social media.

Bigfoot":125z5bzx said:
It's hard not have it to some degree. Some information is only disseminated through social media.

I don't participate in Facebook or Twitter ether and I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything that really matters.

No knowing that Mr. and Mrs. Jones from the next street over are on vacation to the Bahamas or that little Wally finally got potty trained don't really qualify as a "need to know" items.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ahvmiu5 said:
Bigfoot":1ahvmiu5 said:

I don't participate in Facebook or Twitter ether and I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything that really matters.

No knowing that Mr. and Mrs. Jones from the next street over are on vacation to the Bahamas or that little Wally finally got potty trained don't really qualify as a "need to know" items.

I mean some things like ropins, and rodeos. Someone post a pic of their flyer. It gates forwarded, and passes around etc. Wife saves the flyer, and text them to me. I sort through, and decide what I'm doing, and what I'm not doing. Much easier, than say recieving and passing on this information 20 years ago.

I to, don't really care about seeing peoples personal "stuff".

TennesseeTuxedo":1glef320 said:
I follow you now, sorry. I can see where that would be helpful especially if the event didn't have a web site to promote themselves.

Sometimes they do, but most of the times not. Some church info, is passed along on facebook as well. Reminders etc. We get in a state of place, state of mind-------When I'm at work, I don't think about home. When I'm home, I don't think about work. I might volunteer for something at church, and literally not think about it again after doing so. I guess I'm stupid, but thats the way my mind works. I think I remember studying something about that years ago in psychology class.

I don't have Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Instagram, snap chat, or anything else. The only forum I am a member of is cattle today. Everyone else was texting about 5 years before me. I'm a dinosaur. And I'm only 35. But to each their own. Nothing wrong with social media. However it can be abused and misused like anything else. Texting and emailing is good enough for me.

herofan":1gxcjsrb said:
I see a lot of things posted on social media that causes my first reaction to be, "who cares?" I don't care that your husband rubbed your feet after work, or you saw a squirrel in a tree, or you are relaxing on Sunday evening, or you like chocolate pie, but I see a lot of those things. And why do people get on facebook and publicly thank people for things? Wouldn't than mean more if it were done in person?

The one that gets me are the birthday wishes/posts on FB from people to their toddler telling them how special they are and how much they've improved their lives. Really? Your kid is really reading that? Or are you doing this to show the world how awesome a parent you are?

Also, I see a lot of things that are 'funny' that I just can't see the humor in. I love laughing as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think I'm really missing the boat on society's idea of humor.

Bigfoot":29yfz4it said:

This is true. I have many friends from college that I wouldn't hear from if it wasn't for FB. Yes, sometimes I don't care about what they're sharing, but it's important to them so I try to see the joy in it.

On the flipside, it really lets you know what kind of idiot your 'friends' can be.

J&D Cattle":i0paxkaq said:
The single greatest feature of facebook is the ability to unfollow somebody's posts. I look at it almost daily but it's for friends and family's posts or items for sale in different groups that I am a member of.
I watched as 2 of my (supposedly) adult sister's in law got into a physical yellin, screamin' hair pullin' fistfight in their mother's living room because "The beatch unfriended me on facebook". My mother in law was dismayed, as clothes were torn, bad words spoken, but I sat back and enjoyed the spectacle thoroughly. :cowboy: :clap: :lol2:

greybeard":jtmim8sn said:
J&D Cattle":jtmim8sn said:
I watched as 2 of my (supposedly) adult sister's in law got into a physical yellin, screamin' hair pullin' fistfight in their mother's living room because "The beatch unfriended me on facebook". My mother in law was dismayed, as clothes were torn, bad words spoken, but I sat back and enjoyed the spectacle thoroughly. :cowboy: :clap: :lol2:

Oh man that is bad GB. Funny as heck to watch thought I bet. :lol:

Latest posts