Has anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service?

Help Support CattleToday:

Vet relationships are a 2 way street. I don't have any problems getting any one of three out to the place. On the other hand I always have a cold drink or a cup of coffee waiting for him and the animal penned when he gets there. A nice elk steak dropped off at the office from time to time does a lot of good also. If you treat them right they will go the extra mile for you. If they come out and one is somewhere in the back forty with no decient working facilities they will remember it the next time.

Alice":21rmhmor said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":21rmhmor said:
I would think that vets are as obligated to treat emergencies as human docs are (ethics). But I would think that it would do more good to file a complaint with the vet equivalent of the medical society than a lawsuit. As someone said,the only one to benefit would be the be nice lawyers! I have had a vet decline to do some things, because she "only treats horses". :cboy:

That only treats horses statement struck a nerve. My ex-husband is an equine vet. I heard "I only treat horses" so many times I wanted to scream. I finally asked him why he could not at least be less snotty about it when he said it...he just said, "Because I only treat horses." As I said, he's my EX husband. So I guess I could honestly say I did sue a vet... :p

Alice

You whine a lot the world doesn't revlove around your little world, try taking on some responsibilty of taking care of your own animals.

Caustic Burno":zq43wx75 said:
Alice":zq43wx75 said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":zq43wx75 said:
I would think that vets are as obligated to treat emergencies as human docs are (ethics). But I would think that it would do more good to file a complaint with the vet equivalent of the medical society than a lawsuit. As someone said,the only one to benefit would be the be nice lawyers! I have had a vet decline to do some things, because she "only treats horses". :cboy:

That only treats horses statement struck a nerve. My ex-husband is an equine vet. I heard "I only treat horses" so many times I wanted to scream. I finally asked him why he could not at least be less snotty about it when he said it...he just said, "Because I only treat horses." As I said, he's my EX husband. So I guess I could honestly say I did sue a vet... :p

Alice

You whine a lot the world doesn't revlove around your little world, try taking on some responsibilty of taking care of your own animals.

Huh? Mr. Caustic Burno, with all due respect, what in the world are you talking about?

Alice

Caustic Burno":2iipkvm1 said:

I think I may be sick ;-) but I have to agree with CB. *Uhg*
(of course I probably would have not mentioned the "whine" comment)

We have maybe one vet out here and they only come out if they have a number of people at the same time.... Or if your willing to pay a call fee ($75) plus their fees.

Maybe if you told your vet that it was real important and you know he's busy so you would be willing to pay an extra fee to have an emergency call.

Otherwise you can sue but you'll lose and waist money that could have been spent on the animals.

Just my opinion
Mike

Maybe I need to clarify something. I've never sued a vet for malpractice. The vet I sued was my ex-husband, for divorce...I sued him for divorce. ok? Jeez! :shock:

So am I to gather you divorced him because of the snotty way he talked to you? Lot's of compassion there as him being a vet, maybe he was overworked an just irritable. Or then again maybe I'm just assuming too much. Happened once before.

hahahahahahahahahaha! If that were the only reason I sued him for divorce, I'd probably not have divorced him.

Re the snotty remark: he was snotty and nasty and downright threatening to a lot of people, not just me. It did seem to me, however, that his lack of people skills certainly didn't help his business, which I mistakenly tried to point out to him.

'Nuff said, alice

Im not sure but I think CB was directing it mainly toward the original post.

I really dont care about the divorce and seems like an odd place to even talk about it.

Mike

bcox":r7u7pcbh said:
Hello all,

I was wondering, in this day and age of lawsuit mania, has anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service?

I have become very angry at my local vet for not helping me with my sick cattle.

The guy lives three miles from my farm and refused to come to look at my sick cattle because I do not belong to his herd health program or have ever bought medicine from him.

He bit my head off when I suggested that he swing by my place on his way to work.

Now I understand that a vets time is precious and because of prior engagments it is not always feasible for them to come to ones' farm.

I also understand that if you can bring the animals to them they would have a lot more time for everyone. But in this case I had ten heifers that were immobile. I could'nt get them on a trailer if I wanted to.

Luckily, I found another vet that was more willing to help and my girls are doing fine now.

But what if they did'nt make it?
All other vets are an hour and a half or more away from me.

What if no one else had time for me?

Would I have a case against this vet to recoup my investment?

I am just venting but would value your opinion.

bcox

I would tape record the vet and turn him in :lol2:

The question was asked , if anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service.

So maby she did sue him for refusing service.

If so, seems like this would be the right place to talk about it.

Just my thoughts.

Cal

Latest posts