Has anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service?

Help Support CattleToday:

BCox, I understand your flustration. I lost a VG 89 two yr old Reg. holstein because the vets at the clinic were fighting with each other asto who was on call that weekend. She had DA and when someone showed up 12 hours later it was too late to operate. This was after repeated phone calls. It is not always the farmers fault. Vets are people, there good and bad people. The good vets are overworked and they too get flustrated. A law suit would probably only prolong the flustration and only the lawyers would benefit. Thats just my 2 cents.

I would think that vets are as obligated to treat emergencies as human docs are (ethics). But I would think that it would do more good to file a complaint with the vet equivalent of the medical society than a lawsuit. As someone said,the only one to benefit would be the be nice lawyers! I have had a vet decline to do some things, because she "only treats horses". :cboy:

Believe me I not going to sue.

The thought just crossed my mind in a what if scenario.

Talking about it and hearing other bad experiences eases my frustration.

Thanks for everyones reply. I appreciate them all.

Believe me I not going to sue.

The thought just crossed my mind in a what if scenario.

Talking about it and hearing other bad experiences eases my frustration.

Thanks for everyones reply. I appreciate them all.

Ok...here's my 2 cents.....

I, as a vet, have the inherent right to refuse service to anybody I choose at any time. Once I have given them service for a case, I cannot refuse to treat that animal unless the client agrees to a change of veterinarian, and another suitable vet can be located for the client. If I refuse to treat something that is not already my case, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHY, sueing me is just going to a) cost you money b) make me unwilling to EVER do anything to benefit you under any circumstances and c) make it almost impossible for you to get service from surrounding clinics lest you sue them as well for taking too long to come out.

And ethically, I feel obliged to end an animal's suffering via euthanasia, not treating someone's sick animals where there is no relationship....

Gosh golly, get a clue! There's a reason the vet won't come out, and it's not always because the vet is the bad guy! I think milkmaid and some others have it pegged....

Vicki,
who has worked over 70 hours so far this week, and is scheduled for 18 more, thus a little crustier than usual.....

As Vicki and Milkmaid have stated, I believe this more to the story than we know.

We try to buy our vaccines and meds from our vet, prices are even sometimes cheaper than say Valley Vet. That way we fell we are supporting them a local business and they know we try to prevent problems. They take time to answer questions over the phone and have meds ready for us if needed. We have only had 1 farm visit since we started in cattle, the rest have been taken to their clinic.

They always give my daughter a discount on health papers and tatooing for her show calves, and really in my opinion just give the calves a glance. Questioned it once and they say we know you and your herd so they feel ok about them.

I think a lawsuit is just a waste of your time, their time and the court system. I feel it would be better to talk to them and see if there is a problem so the next time this won't happen.

Vicky the vet":23549pvu said:
Ok...here's my 2 cents.....

I, as a vet, have the inherent right to refuse service to anybody I choose at any time. Once I have given them service for a case, I cannot refuse to treat that animal unless the client agrees to a change of veterinarian, and another suitable vet can be located for the client. If I refuse to treat something that is not already my case, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHY, sueing me is just going to a) cost you money b) make me unwilling to EVER do anything to benefit you under any circumstances and c) make it almost impossible for you to get service from surrounding clinics lest you sue them as well for taking too long to come out.

And ethically, I feel obliged to end an animal's suffering via euthanasia, not treating someone's sick animals where there is no relationship....

Gosh golly, get a clue! There's a reason the vet won't come out, and it's not always because the vet is the bad guy! I think milkmaid and some others have it pegged....

Vicki,
who has worked over 70 hours so far this week, and is scheduled for 18 more, thus a little crustier than usual.....
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am not trying to vet bash...just wanted your opinions.

Seems I have struck a nerve.

All the good vets out there...god love ya!

I've got nothing but praise out there for the vet who finally helped me in my situation. They guy was doing surgery on a dog and was talking to me on the phone. He knew the vet I was dealing with and felt obligated to help. Yet, he could not make it to the farm either, he sold me the medicine he thought I would need. It took me 2 hours to get there but since I was having an emergency I did it.That was very accomodating and he received a thank you card.

Why could the local vet not have done the same thing?

If doctors cannot tend to all there patients, they add staff. Why dont vets do the same?

They may in some places but not here.

i dont think you would have much of a case.

first, a vet isnt obligated to see each and every animal that gets sick. secondly, they cant be expected to.

Bcox, I'm not sure how your state handles licensing, however if I were you, I'd place a call. In Saskatchewan, any vet who refuses to treat an emergent animal based on your not being in "his program" or "not a regular customer" can be reported and the School of Veterinary Medecine will follow up the complaint. Too many valid complaints, and they no longer will be allowed to practice in Saskatchewan. Same goes for withholding drugs. If the drug is registered for "over the counter use", no vet can refuse to sell it to you. Vets are treated very much like ER docs in that they can't refuse to service an emergent case, except in mitigating circumstances like an abusive animal owner, inadequate facilities or exhaustion (local vet once went 36 hours straight).

As long as you and he haven't exchanged words or have some kind of conflict, and he wasn't busy, he should not have refused to give service.

As a side note, I've never had a vet ever refuse me service, even those I've never dealt with or bought from (local vet, and Tisdale vets were both busy, so I had to call Melfort).

Rod

Perhaps I'm missing it, but if you called him that morning wanting him to swing by before he went to work.... maybe he had a full day already booked???

Did you try calling his office to set up an appointment for him to come out?

I think there are too many variables here and of course anyone can sue anyone they like.... winning the case is another matter.

bcox":25pqscki said:
I am not trying to vet bash...just wanted your opinions.

Seems I have struck a nerve.

All the good vets out there...god love ya!

I've got nothing but praise out there for the vet who finally helped me in my situation. They guy was doing surgery on a dog and was talking to me on the phone. He knew the vet I was dealing with and felt obligated to help. Yet, he could not make it to the farm either, he sold me the medicine he thought I would need. It took me 2 hours to get there but since I was having an emergency I did it.That was very accomodating and he received a thank you card.

Why could the local vet not have done the same thing?

If doctors cannot tend to all there patients, they add staff. Why dont vets do the same?

They may in some places but not here.

Three times I've called on a vet from the clinic that I use for my other babies...my rat terriers...the clinic that advertises "7 veterinarians to serve you better." Two of those calls went unreturned to me. The third attempt, whomever answered the phone, told me I needed to get the calf there before 3:30 p.m. It was 3:15 when I called. I told whomever I talked with that the calf was in the field and it would take a bit to get him loaded since I was alone...could the vet not come out, or barring that, I would have help around 4:00p.m. and could get him loaded and in there by around 4:15. The answer, "He's the only one here today that treats large animals, so no he couldn't come out...and he needs to leave early today so I'd have to have the calf there by 3:30." Ok, I said, I'll do what I can here this evening and have him there first thing in the morning. "Oh, that won't work either...all of our large animal vets are doing this that and the other and won't be here." "Well," I said, "The calf will be there waiting until they come in." That wouldn't work either for some reason or another. At that point I hung up.

So much for "7 veterinarians to serve you better."

Alice

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":i2w3xx1e said:
I would think that vets are as obligated to treat emergencies as human docs are (ethics). But I would think that it would do more good to file a complaint with the vet equivalent of the medical society than a lawsuit. As someone said,the only one to benefit would be the be nice lawyers! I have had a vet decline to do some things, because she "only treats horses". :cboy:

That only treats horses statement struck a nerve. My ex-husband is an equine vet. I heard "I only treat horses" so many times I wanted to scream. I finally asked him why he could not at least be less snotty about it when he said it...he just said, "Because I only treat horses." As I said, he's my EX husband. So I guess I could honestly say I did sue a vet... :p

Alice

MoGal":34ztgfug said:
Perhaps I'm missing it, but if you called him that morning wanting him to swing by before he went to work.... maybe he had a full day already booked???

Did you try calling his office to set up an appointment for him to come out?

Huh? Set up an appointment for my heifers that are going to be sick in 4 days? Anybody know in advance when their cows are going to get sick.

Vet wont come out, sue. Mailman was late while expecting a check, sue. Repair man couldnt get out today, everything in the fridge spoiled, sue.Weather man said rain so I fertilized, no rain, sue.Cant afford fuel for the truck, sue. Gave all my money to the lawyer, he lost the case, sue him too. jp

Some good points! Vets are on a scale between 1 and 10. Best to establish a relationship with a Vet closer to "10" if possible...lol.

In our area, we have 4 large animal Vets within 50 mile radius (2 more have gone out of business in past year). In Amarillo (125 miles away) we have a large animal hospital that will take emergencies on short notice...we've used them once! Two of our Vets make ranch calls..."with appointment" and/or "today" if they have free time. We treat all of our Vets well and with consideration. We recently had a yearling heifer that broke her ankle...Vet took her in next day (we delivered her 45 miles away to his clinic).

With frequent observation and quality preventive care at one's ranch, you usually have one or more days advance notice one may need to see the Vet (true emergencies excepted).

We have quality handling facilities and have any animal penned in our corral before Vet comes.

Sometimes we have to call 3 or 4 Vets before one is available for "an emergency". This is life... However, for routine care/treatment we always call their office and make appointment to either come in or for them to make ranch call.

With fewer and fewer Vets entering large animal practice, it behooves the rancher to be considerate, and establish a good relationship with ALL of your area Vets...never know when you HAVE to have one!

Consider: Our Vet charges $5. to band a bull (that we bring to him) that is too large for our own banding equipment. Food for thought: One's people Physician would probably charge $500. ??? or so for a guy to walk into his/her office and want a vasectomy... And...we wonder why Vet's are in short supply...lol. ;-)

I think we all have to remember that Vets are people too. The vets I deal with are very busy. They are the only ones who can be called after hours, and answer the phone, they come out on weekends, late at night, they are very dedicated. I know from dealing with them for 12 years plus, that they really do care about the animals.

I know sometimes when I call for a vet to come out, they take emergencies first, so I have had to wait for hours for them to arrive, but they still make it. Maybe this Vet was just running late, having a bad day, could be a million things. I would have called the office and explained the circumstances, maybe if they wouldhave heard the whole story why the animals couldn't be brought in, they would have come out. If it bugs you still, maybe it would be a good idea to call the Vet and talk to him directly, and try to reach a understanding, couldn't hurt.

My Vet has been sued by people in cases where there animals have died, looking to blame someone, I think sometimes people do this thinking money is going to make everything alright, replace the loss, but can it really?

GMN

Latest posts