Has anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service?

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering, in this day and age of lawsuit mania, has anyone ever sued a vet for refusing service?

I have become very angry at my local vet for not helping me with my sick cattle.

The guy lives three miles from my farm and refused to come to look at my sick cattle because I do not belong to his herd health program or have ever bought medicine from him.

He bit my head off when I suggested that he swing by my place on his way to work.

Now I understand that a vets time is precious and because of prior engagments it is not always feasible for them to come to ones' farm.

I also understand that if you can bring the animals to them they would have a lot more time for everyone. But in this case I had ten heifers that were immobile. I could'nt get them on a trailer if I wanted to.

Luckily, I found another vet that was more willing to help and my girls are doing fine now.

But what if they did'nt make it?
All other vets are an hour and a half or more away from me.

What if no one else had time for me?

Would I have a case against this vet to recoup my investment?

I am just venting but would value your opinion.

bcox

there's my side and his side and somewhere in the middle is the truth lol.

Well since I dont thingk he is online here all you have is my side lol.

In all fairness to the vet, he just wanted me to bring them to him at his shop location but I could'nt.

Well... if you just asked him to "swing by" and there was no mention of payment, then I could understand the vet's reaction. If he's anything like my vet he is VERY busy and has more good solid clients than he has time for.

All that said, if you have a good relationship with your vet, pay your bills on time, animals easy to work, etc, then I can't see any vet refusing to help out.

I haven't had any problems with a vet ever not coming out when I asked - but all the folks I know that DO have problems getting a vet to their place, are unorganized, have poor facilities, late with payments, hardly ever do any business over there other than the serious "help I need a vet NOW" and then complain about the $$$ later.

That doesn't answer the original question. First of all, I'm certain my vet would never refuse to come out as I'm only a few miles from the clinic (and his house) and we have a good vet-client relationship. If he DID refuse to come by and he wasn't occupied at the moment (in the middle of an intense surgery) then I'd be taking a serious look at myself and the way things had been - payments, animal handling, facilities, etc - the last few times he'd been here. I wouldn't sue...:shock:

Vet can't seem to do anything right nowdays - if the animal dies, client sues. Treatment doesn't work client sues. Treatment caused more problems than it fixed, client sues. Client doesn't like the way vet handles their Fluffy and sues. Vet decides that client is trouble with a capital T and won't see their animals anymore, client gets mad and sues. Folks ought to relax a little - they're only human, after all!

well when you said sick cattle. that fired a warning shot for me i could understand one or two whats going on with your cattle any how? this day and age there should be no reason for multiple sick cattle

I have never had a problem with this vet in the past. He has all my dog and cat business and payments were always paid in full.

But I have always taken my animals there. He has never had to come to my farm before.

Trust me, when it comes to money he is very good at billing. lol

I'm new at this whole cattle thing and can't really rely on experience so I just try to float along on common sense. Within a month of starting my herd, I scheduled a vet visit to give a heifer a shot that I could have easily given myself just to get him aquainted with me and my facilities. I had the heifer ready to go already in the pen and had her in the headgate within minutes of his arrival. I then had him inspect my place and point out what I could do to make his visits as easy as possible. When we finished I wrote him a check before he left. I occasionally will buy a product such as wormer from his office just to make sure he remembers my name and my face but I still buy most items wherever it's cheapest and do my own treatments. I just want to make sure he considers me a good customer and will be available if an emergency arrises that I can't handle.
I don't know what all is involved in your vets 'herd health program', but if it's not too expensive or involves too many things you consider unnecessary, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider joining. I figure if it costs me an extra ten or fifteen bucks on occasion to throw a little business his way, it's a worthwhile investment for me in the future. We need vets and we've got to make sure they're still interested in treating large animals although the big money is in treating rich old lady's poodles.

Would you really want to force a vet to treat your cattle, that didn't want to?

If it would help save part of a 10,000.00 investment....yes I would

I'm new at this whole cattle thing and can't really rely on experience so I just try to float along on common sense. Within a month of starting my herd, I scheduled a vet visit to give a heifer a shot that I could have easily given myself just to get him aquainted with me and my facilities. I had the heifer ready to go already in the pen and had her in the headgate within minutes of his arrival. I then had him inspect my place and point out what I could do to make his visits as easy as possible. When we finished I wrote him a check before he left. I occasionally will buy a product such as wormer from his office just to make sure he remembers my name and my face but I still buy most items wherever it's cheapest and do my own treatments. I just want to make sure he considers me a good customer and will be available if an emergency arrises that I can't handle.
I don't know what all is involved in your vets 'herd health program', but if it's not too expensive or involves too many things you consider unnecessary, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider joining. I figure if it costs me an extra ten or fifteen bucks on occasion to throw a little business his way, it's a worthwhile investment for me in the future. We need vets and we've got to make sure they're still interested in treating large animals although the big money is in treating rich old lady's poodles.

Its my local vets policy that before he sells any medicine he must first inspect the animal. But if i cannot move the animals and he will not come to the farm to inspect them, how am I to get the medicine. I was not going to have him work the animals...I was going to do that myself. I just need some prescription antibiotics.

well when you said sick cattle. that fired a warning shot for me i could understand one or two whats going on with your cattle any how? this day and age there should be no reason for multiple sick cattle

It may have been shipping fever or IBR contracted from the sale barn. Not real sure. I know vets dont like to hear about cattle coming from the sale barn...but the conversation never got that far to let him know where they came from.

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that he would come to the farm if you were a member of his plan. If he won't come out under any circumstances than he's not going to be much help anyway.

bcox":bd4u5mau said:

It may have been shipping fever or IBR contracted from the sale barn. Not real sure. I know vets dont like to hear about cattle coming from the sale barn...but the conversation never got that far to let him know where they came from.
well if that the case id say too heck with him and go invest in some nuflor or something equilvent and go too work you aint got time to shop for a vet

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that he would come to the farm if you were a member of his plan. If he won't come out under any circumstances than he's not going to be much help anyway

You did not misunderstand. That is the way he operates. I failed to mention that I am running a feeder program and dont meet the requirements for his program.

I worm and vaccinate my cattle in the summer then sell in the fall. I buy that stuff at Southern States and do this myself.

Just occurred to me - what on earth do you hope to accomplish by suing one vet for refusing to come out and treat your animals? :???: That he'll be running to help you next time you call? :shock:

I figure if it costs me an extra ten or fifteen bucks on occasion to throw a little business his way, it's a worthwhile investment for me in the future.

Same way I feel, hasbeen. :nod:

I wouldn't sue...

Vet can't seem to do anything right nowdays - if the animal dies, client sues. Treatment doesn't work client sues. Treatment caused more problems than it fixed, client sues. Client doesn't like the way vet handles their Fluffy and sues. Vet decides that client is trouble with a capital T and won't see their animals anymore, client gets mad and sues. Folks ought to relax a little - they're only human, after all!

I agree...in these cases I wouldnt sue either.

Dont get me wrong I am not advocating lawsuits.

But I had treatable animals. He was the closest vet available. He refused me service based on not having prior large animal business with him.

If my animals have died due to his refusal, I'd be really mad lol.

Just occurred to me - what on earth do you hope to accomplish by suing one vet for refusing to come out and treat your animals? That he'll be running to help you next time you call?

Well, I would not worry about the vet that I had sued because he definetly would refuse my business lol.

But you do bring up a good point about other vets being hesitant to want to help me.

bcox":123y3sar said:
He refused me service based on not having prior large animal business with him.

Well, then that's the reason. I have known a couple of people who ran into this scenario, these people had this issue with horses.

While I realize you said he has taken care of your small animals, they are not the same as large animals and as you said he stated he's not worked on your large animals before.

I personally have not had this experience, but if I had, I would not sue the vet.

Katherine

A vet has no responsibility other than to keep his business thriving to treat a sick animal. Its his business if he don't want to treat something, thats his call. He is not obligated to do anything he don't want to. Granted this can cost him customers in the future, but its still his right to refuse working on anything. Just as a Doctor has the right to refuse patients. ( unless he's a E.R. doc.). Its his right to refuse animals. Sueing him won't and shouldn't harm him in this case. It will only make it harder for you to get treatment from other Vets in the future. I know if I were a vet I sure wouldn't treat a animal thats owner runs to court if something don't go their way.

Latest posts