harvest vs slaughter?

Help Support CattleToday:

JerryCooper

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker who has decided to post.

Just read this in the JournalStar,
Crops, not cattle, are harvested.

Do you say you harvest your cattle?
JC

While I don't call it harvesting, I don't have a problem with it, either. I've often heard the term used by hunters, too.
It's a kinder, gentler term to use for those sensitive soccer mom type clients, as well.
Seems like a pretty harmless version of PC

And :welcome:

Slaughter. Some people say cut their heads off. I think most people that say harvest are closer to the packing end.

I slaughtered some sweet corn a few months ago, and have been trying to find someone with a small combine to drag thru my pond so I can have some fried catfish.

I would only use the word Harvest for things you have grown, and to me it implies plants... Hunting is just that, hunting, you don't 'harvest' trees you didn't grow (logging) or animals.

I think it's not the worst form of PC either, but I don't like it...

a yuppie catering ranch around here plays classical music for the cattle and has a freaking PRIEST COW to console them before "harvest", and the kill floor has some fancy icon or whatnot in the tile mosaic... that is just BULLSH!T, piled very high and deep

Are we suppose to start calling slaughter houses a harvest house?

PC is not something that appeals to me. It causes a great deal of confusion. They want to make people feel inferior in order to change to their standards.

Welcome JerryCooper!
I hope that this will not be your only post.
Harvesting does sound better. It would have made a difference when I was a kid as I asked Mom where did hamburger meat come from. She said cows, and I asked her if they killed them and she said yes! :shock:

So..I would not eat hamburger meat after she told me that. So, my Mom started telling me that the hamburger she bought "this time," came from a tree. I believed it and started eating it again. :roll:

I would ask her to show me a ground beef tree when we were riding down the road, and she would say, "When I see one, I will tell you," Then I would forget about it the rest of the trip.

Last year, I found out there were no hamburger trees.

So, according to my Mom, and 1982vette, they do pick them. :lol2:

Nesikep":1mm7chtn said:
I would only use the word Harvest for things you have grown, and to me it implies plants... Hunting is just that, hunting, you don't 'harvest' trees you didn't grow (logging) or animals.

I think it's not the worst form of PC either, but I don't like it...

a yuppie catering ranch around here plays classical music for the cattle and has a freaking PRIEST COW to console them before "harvest", and the kill floor has some fancy icon or whatnot in the tile mosaic... that is just BULLSH!T, piled very high and deep
Is that a PRIEST COW (ordained cow) or a cow priest? (a priest that administers last rites to cows) Does this priest cow hear their confessions too??

He'd get an earfull listening to one of my bulls.

Ken, my mother did not let my hair grow out when I was little, as it stayed on the short side.
Mom had to explain a lot to me as I thought too much. Some of my serious questions were answered by my Dad, and he gave me bad answers.
Like, I asked him, "Dad, why can a bird fly?" He said, "Because they have air in their blood."
I believed that for several years.... :roll:
I then would repeat what I knew to someone else, and then I was straightened out. Sometimes by a teacher at school, with me thinking that the teacher was not real bright. :nod:

I always told the kids we were taking them to the dis-assembly plant. From a young age they always knew what we did with them when they got big, doesn't mean they liked it, but they understood. My youngest (11 yrs. old) cried all the way through the sale ring with her pig at the fair, she got 50 cents more a pound than her brother!

Latest posts