Hard Pull for Small Heifer - Future Issues Here?

Help Support CattleToday:

MichaelB

Reaction score
I had bought a Tarentaise heifer last year that is of smaller frame. She has very good breeding, and comes from a long line of cows with no calving issues. She was bred to a Tarentaise bull that was a rather large and very well muscled.

She calved in February (at least 22 months old), and for the first time in my experience as a cowman I had to pull the calf. It was presented correctly, with front hooves down and nostrils up. She had been in labor for about 2-3 hours and while she was straining, the calf wasn't going any further. The first pull with a cotton rope around the front legs got him about half way out, then we rested and I grabbed the calf around the barrel and pulled him the rest of the way. I weighed the calf on a bathroom scale and he was 76 lb., which was larger than many calves I have had. Despite the first night of worrying if the calf would freeze and wondering if my cow had gone into shock, they bonded by morning and now Blizzard is a fine, growing steer with a dedicated mother (she calved outside just before a major blizzard in the mid-Atlantic).

My question is, how critical should I be in assessing her for future breeding? She was a small heifer, and he was a large calf. She presented the calf correctly, but couldn't push him through on her own. Would this be a sign that she will need to be assisted with future births?

I plan to use a black angus bull (Long Distance from Genex) with a very high CED score when I have her bred in June, and after that she will generally be used to produce crossbred Black Angus calves, although a Tarentaise/Hereford cross is also a very efficient choice.

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN01202&lang=EN

Other than this assisted birth, she is of a much better quality than the cows I had previously and I don't want to replace her unless necessary. Any experience with how assisted first time heifers will handle future pregnancy and birthing?

Thanks,

MichaelB

You will get all kinds of answers here. I guess it depends on how much you like her. I would definitely take the chance and try again. She proved she could push, and is raising the calf without any further problems. If you only had to pull using a cotton rope, then it was not a hard pull in my opinion. When you have to get the jack out, that is a hard pull! I do not mind helping our first calf heifers when needed, but have yet to have to help them the following year. So, I would keep her to try again and not worry.

That really sin;t that big of a calf. From the pull it sound like what our vet calls "Heifer Disease", they just don;t go into labor and push like they should. Over the years we've had a few and they didn;t have any problems calving from then on. Just seems like the switch doesn;t go on in their dam head that first time that they have to push.

You got the calf out alive, in one piece, with what wasn't a really hard pull. Heifer got up and is evidently doing a good job with him.
She'd get another shot at it here, unless something happens between now and the next calving - like coming up open, or developing a bad attitude, etc.

I'm of the same opinion... though I don't consider 76 lbs all that heavy, she's raising him well and I haven't found that I have a much higher chance of needing to assist later in life... Some will need it and some don't.

For me, if I don't use any rope or chains, I'm quite certain the cow would have been fine doing it herself, I just don't like "retard" calves, and the sooner they're on the ground, the sooner I can do back to doing other things... If I need chains, but don't need to break a sweat, that's mild assistance, and if me and/or my dad are busting our butts off trying to get it out, that's a hard pull! We don't have a calf puller and have never needed one (cross fingers)

Lucky_P":si7rqulb said:
You got the calf out alive, in one piece, with what wasn't a really hard pull. Heifer got up and is evidently doing a good job with him.
She'd get another shot at it here, unless something happens between now and the next calving - like coming up open, or developing a bad attitude, etc.
Dittos....If it were mine though, i'd still keep her with heifers and breed her to a heifer bull. We do that for my peace of mind. I figure if her first calf was too big, breeding her to something that makes a bigger calf is pushing it. We always keep heifers we've pulled calves out of and never have to again but they go to a LBW bull for their second..

Thank you for your responses, and I'm relieved that it is unlikely that she will have problem deliveries going forward. She is smaller than the other Tarentaise cows I have owned, and even then I usually select black angus heifer bulls for breeding.

I guess in retrospect it wasn't such a hard pull, it's just that I had never had to pull one before and I knew that I had to do something. I've had 6 calves born here, and usually their mommas deliver and clean-up within 45 minutes or so. I described pulling a calf to someone in my office as trying to grab two massive garden slugs and pulling on them, which is why I found a cotton rope to wrap around his pasterns. I will buy a set of obstetrical chains if I ever have a next time.

MichaelB

If you donl;t need chains or a rope, I have found that just wearing a pair of jersey gloves give surprosingly good grip on the slimey legs.