Bull issues?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I got a 4 year old bull that seems to have a problem. Noticed he lays around more than usual, limps or seems to walk stiff legged. I could not find any issues, had vet look at him and thinks it is up in the shoulder. He is a 1800 pound or more bull. Vet says he should be ok breeding next year but I am worried. Hasn't showed no improvement really over a few weeks. I am concerned he may not cover 20 or so cows next spring. My thoughts are if he missed a few that will buy a bull. Thinking about culling now and trying to replace him. thoughts?

Find there placement first. Bulls and cows are going to be higher very soon
There is a auction next weekend. I am not sure what to do.
He would probably get 20 bred no problem but I would move on. He is laying around because it hurts to walks.
Had a few in heat this fall that shouldn't have been, could have been the drought possibly.

Bulls are bringing in the .90 s to over 1.00 a lb here . Good time to sell and get one with good wheels .

One with a limp would have a dock at the sale barn now and you have to consider if he can load, ride, stand in the barn and such humanely. I had a bull that sprained a right front shoulder and I put him in a lot and let him rest. It took about a month and he recovered and worked for another several years. Maybe a difference: I was there when he hurt himself: wet, moving him, he was frolicking and jumping and he had speed, slid on mud and jolted to a stop. He went down and came up with the injury. It depends on your facilities, time, the quality of the bull and if you can economically replace him ASAP.

Did your vet look at that sides foot? That's maybe what I would do. Get somebody in with a trimming chute and have a look at that foot.
Not knowing what causes his limping is making the decision to cull difficult. At least it would make it difficult for me.
He could have sprained something in the leg or shoulder or has something going on in his feet, but would be good to go next spring.
If you ship him now you will most likely get docked in price for his limping, I would say, depending on your feed situation, if you have enough feed keep him for now and see if he gets over it.
At the same time, keep your eyes open for a replacement.
That's what I would do in your situation. But what do I know............ =)

Did your vet look at that sides foot? That's maybe what I would do. Get somebody in with a trimming chute and have a look at that foot.
Not knowing what causes his limping is making the decision to cull difficult. At least it would make it difficult for me.
He could have sprained something in the leg or shoulder or has something going on in his feet, but would be good to go next spring.
If you ship him now you will most likely get docked in price for his limping, I would say, depending on your feed situation, if you have enough feed keep him for now and see if he gets over it.
At the same time, keep your eyes open for a replacement.
That's what I would do in your situation. But what do I know............ =)
Yes no visible problem. Vet thinks it is in the shoulder. Been noticing him laying around a lot more, worried it will get worse. Today he is walking a lot better, just worried how he can handle 20 plus cows come spring, had a few open later this year than normal, wonder if it has already affected him.

I would be looking for a replacement for the simple fact that you already have an issue with a "few open later this year"... could have been drought... more likely because he is hurting.... If he is not limping bad here, it would not dock him much if any... bulls of size go to kill... the only possible ones going home to a farm are the 1500 and UNDER sized ones... the "few open later" ones are strike one, the lameness is strike 2..... if he gets too lame to want to get around at all... where will you be.
We have several bulls.... have quite a few places we rent summer pasture and each needs a bull to breed spring calving cows... rent one out occasionally to someone with 10-12 cows.... cannot afford to have open cows... if it is one or 2 in a group then the cow normally gets sold... sometimes extenuating reasons will allow her to get held back for 6 months to go with the next calving group (we calve spring and fall)....
Prices were higher this fall than I thought they would be, and I look for them to stay up with the sell down in drought areas, cows will be in demand and push prices higher and bulls to breed them.
20 head is a big enough number that opens are costing you serious money...Our 5 wt steer calves were bringing in the 1.80 + range....that's 900 a calf... 3 would buy you a decent bull... 4 if you average in 2 heifers at 700 each.

I would be looking for a replacement for the simple fact that you already have an issue with a "few open later this year"... could have been drought... more likely because he is hurting.... If he is not limping bad here, it would not dock him much if any... bulls of size go to kill... the only possible ones going home to a farm are the 1500 and UNDER sized ones... the "few open later" ones are strike one, the lameness is strike 2..... if he gets too lame to want to get around at all... where will you be.
We have several bulls.... have quite a few places we rent summer pasture and each needs a bull to breed spring calving cows... rent one out occasionally to someone with 10-12 cows.... cannot afford to have open cows... if it is one or 2 in a group then the cow normally gets sold... sometimes extenuating reasons will allow her to get held back for 6 months to go with the next calving group (we calve spring and fall)....
Prices were higher this fall than I thought they would be, and I look for them to stay up with the sell down in drought areas, cows will be in demand and push prices higher and bulls to breed them.
20 head is a big enough number that opens are costing you serious money...Our 5 wt steer calves were bringing in the 1.80 + range....that's 900 a calf... 3 would buy you a decent bull... 4 if you average in 2 heifers at 700 each.
Plan is he gets a ride tomorrow.

Latest posts