Hard lesson

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
Had a young bull in the gate today checking weight and worming him droped my weight tape when i bent over to pick it up the little son of a gun kicked me some how right between the sholder blade,s almost put my face in the dirt.I dont know why i bent over that close to him but i bet i don,t do that agin.
I guess i just let my guard down.Just wanted to share this maby to help keep someone else doing the dumb thing i done.

rattler

Nearly got my hand taken off doing almost the same thing the other day. :oops: :lol: Just so you know you aren't the only one that's done that move. After that I found a long piece of wire to get a hold of the other end of the weight tape, rather than reaching under the animal. :p

milkmaid had the same idea my self.You can bet i will have a wire with a hook the next time.

rattler

We've all done it. I was doctoring calves a few weeks back. Reached into my pocket to get the syringe, and stuck the needle into the heel of my hand. Thank God it wasn't loaded, and that was the first calf. I know better than to put a syringe in my pocket with no cap on the needle. :roll:

It was many years ago and we were playing army with the plastic army men you could buy at the Woolworth. We had it set up and where using BB guns to decide who would win. It just wasn't all we wanted so we go get a 2.5 gallon tank of gas and supplied some to the area. Just so happened that the spout on the tank caught on fire when we lit it and my friend freaked dropped and ran. I threw it as far as I could and it went out. He told his parents what we had done.

I got in the trouble I deserved. He skated for being truthful.

We were very lucky it didn't blow. I'm good with the outcome.

I've done it myself before not thinking. Good you were not hurt. I really have to watch my heifers now because when I let them in the pens for feed . they run in kicking. I know they are not trying to kick me...they are just happy it's feeding time.

Well they say a lesson learned the hard way is one you dont soon forget you can bet i don,t do that agin.

rattler":2cpk0aly said:
Well they say a lesson learned the hard way is one you dont soon forget.....

'They' are right. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt - or worse.

Yes you are lucky to be here to tell your story. We all are lucky, thinking back at all of the stupid stunts that we have done, to be here also. Well take care and heal up.

rattler":1q0vv9tf said:
Well they say a lesson learned the hard way is one you dont soon forget you can bet i don,t do that agin.

Had a distant cousin die recently at age 95. At his funeral his son was reciting some of the things his father had told him. One was: "Son if experience won't teach you, you can't be taught." I've spent hrs. in the past talking to this man. His advice was worth listening to.

I was checking on a fan in the chicken house (48") and decided to give the belt a tug (had it unplugged) just then the wind grabbed the fan blades and took off - luckily my glove was too big and the glove was what got squished on the pulley instead of my finger! From then on I've blocked the fan blades from turning.

we call those dumb a$$ moments here

an uncle died from this last summer (a retired car dealership mechanic) he started a generator in his closed up shop building and carbon monoxide killed him - he had always insisted that no engine be run inside a building

mdmdog3 I think we get caugth up in what we are doing we just forget and dont pay any attition till it is too late.

rattler

Latest posts